Tires, tires, tires

All,

I'll have to change my tires one day or another and I feel a bit puzzled. At the moment I have BFG trac-edge 7.50R16 on 5.5in (?) steel wheels on my

110.

I am very happy with this tire but it seem to be very difficult to come by. I read that the BFG Commercial A/T Traction is a very good replacement for it. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist in that size.

I don't really want to loose ground clearance so I reckon that a size such as 235/85 is the closest I can get (in fact would give me a bit more ground clearance). However, the rim size recommended for that tire/size is min

6in.

Is that a big problem? What do people do?

Fred

P.S. Sorry for the FAQ, but I couldn't find an answer to it anywhere.

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

235/85 is almost identical to 7.50 - within a couple of mm or so. BFG AT are a fantastic tyre - mine were doing around 30k miles on average. I'm pretty sure they will fit your rims.
Reply to
Rich B

Only 30k???

Most of my customers get at least 40 and sometimes 60 out of their BFGs

The commercial TA is not the same as the BFG AT is the replacement to the much loved Track Edge. It is a bit softer than the old Track Edge but my farmer customers really love them. I sell lots mainly in the

235/85 and 225/75 sizes.
Reply to
Marc Draper

In message , Marc Draper writes

I got almost 60k out of my MTs but had I realised just how distorted they were I would have got rid a lot sooner.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:59:40 +0000, Fred Labrosse enlightened us thusly:

Fit the 235/85 tyres to the 5.5" rims. I've never had any problems with 'em.

The only LR rims I'd not really reckon to fit that tyre to are the old SWB rims. Old LWB are the same as the 110 ones (well, early ones anyway).

If you're especially bothered, you could buy a set of "wolf" rims, which, IIRC, will allow you to fit tubeless tyres as well, which you can't do on the old type riveted rims.

7.50R16 is sadly a vanishing breed... and the trac edge is now defunct, which is a pity as it was a good tyre.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:19:04 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

They're about 2" wider, hence the rim width recommendation. But frankly, I reckon that recommendation is bollocks.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Perhaps driving style had something to do with it? :-)

Ackshirley, I was going to write 50k, but it was a while ago and I though, ah, bollocks, no-one will believe that, I must have misremembered, and put

30k.

Now the TracEdge was some tyre. I reckoned the ideal road/offroad compromise tyre. The A/T looks funkier, though.

Reply to
Rich B

I'm not too sure which ones are mine. All I know is that they're not tubeless. They have FV2000727 written on them.

I'm not too bothered. I'm more worried ;-) (I don't particularly want to lose a tyre on the road or off road).

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

What do you mean by "softer"? Is that the rubber or the structure?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

Just realised: I'de need to change the spare as well... Another 100 quid!

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

Not necessarily. The 235/85 is so close to the 7.50 in diameter as to make no difference, especially for emergency use. I've had 235/85 on the wheels and a 7.50 spare, and no MoT ester has ever mentioned it.

Reply to
Rich B

AIUI spare is not part of MOT

Reply to
hugh

AIUI if the spare is present it has to be legal. ie have enough tread, not be perished or have splits/bulges etc. I don't think the MOT goes as far as pressure checks on the road wheels let alone for the spare.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's correct. The rear wiper is excluded from the test as well.

Reply to
Allen

A fitted tyre of a different profile to the other three is an MOT failure, but is not a failure if in the spare position. (I am not an MOT tester).

Reply to
Allen

On or around Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:04:41 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

I've never worked out how. All I can say is the must drive a hellova lot more gently than I do. I've had a 110 and a disco both go through pirellis in about 16K miles.

Did have some AT-KO BFGs, and they did more mileage, but nothing like what some people claim to get.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:58:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

It has to be legal but doesn't have to be the same size as the ones on the motor. Axles have to have the same size/type other than for emergency use, AFAIK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That can't be right. Only if it's not present at the time of the test. Every tester I've known checks the condition of the spare (if not the size) because the intention is to fit it if needed which would then be illegal if there was anything wrong with it (including the size). It makes sense to carry a matching spare.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

It seems counter-intuitive, with populist folklore thrown in for good measure, but indeed the spare is not included in the MOT.

"The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT."

Allen

Except for this bit: "An externally fitted spare wheel or spare wheel carrier must not be so insecure that it is likely to fall off."

Reply to
Allen