Tollerance of Discovery 4 bolt steering box?

Now what have you broken?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Anyone have the min and max pressures from the pump that this box is rated at please?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Nothing (yet)... :-)

I'm thinking of putting a Milemarker on the front of Grumble and thought I may as well upgrade the current pump in order to power it.

Trouble is, a hydraulic pump to drive a Milemarker would blow the guts out of a PAS box, so I'll need to restrict it. I just need to work out if it's feasible to do it this way.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Well, MileMarker rate their winches at 1500 psi (say 100 bar) (although allegedly they'll work at twice that):

As is typical, I can't find a specific listing for LR pumps, but looking at Merc PAS pumps even the weediest runs at 65 bar, and some produce an eye-watering 125 bar (and they're purple to boot):

QrizB

Reply to
phil

Milemarker is a manufacturer of hydraulic winches. (And they also sell a couple of electric ones.) Hydraulic winches are typically more reliable than electric ones, and have a far heavier duty cycle. But they're a lot slower, and usually more expensive. They also rely on having an engine running to power the hydraulic compressor, whereas electric winches will run off a battery, for a short time at least.

Most professional users (fire, military, coastguard I think) use hydraulic winches for the dependability. Most hobbiests and competition users use electric, for speed and cost.

The 3rd type of winch is PTO driven, which runs off the gearbox. Nice and simple, but again relies on the engine turning, and you generally can't use the vehicle's motive power alongside the winch as you can with the other types.

David French

Aw soddit! Now you've got me thinking about purple pumps!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

When I fitted a Milemarker to my Ruster, I bought a 'kit' from Alfred Murray that included a ZF74 pump, a pressure reducing bypass for the PAS and all plumbing.

It seems to work great - the winch, erm, winches and the pressure reducing valve seems to work (well, at least the steering box doesn't leak any more than it always has...)

BTW, the oft cited argument that MM's are slow is a bit misleading - with the MM the speed is constant, whatever the load whereas the electrics tend to be faster under no load but slow to a crawl when loaded (and you have

100's of amps whizzing about under your bonnet ! Eek!

Check out Alfred Murray at

Regards,

Horse

Reply to
horse

Because I've recently turned into a complete clueless tw*t, this obvious option didn't occur to me. Knowing the Alfred Murray crew via Andy, and actually having had a few drinks, chats, parties, Billing events and the like, I really should have thought of this before... ho hum... Even more sad is that this is exactly the setup that Andy has on his PAS 101 - with Milemarker (and what I was intending to ask him about a year or so ago...)

I love usenet - it reminds me to think... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Yeah...so many ideas ...so little time.