first minor breakdown, throttle problem

I had just started up this evening and rounded the first corner when the accelerator pedal stuck to the floor. I turned the engine off and found there was little resistance to make it return, so I drove home somewhat gingerly.

When I got home I couldn't see much under the bonnet, it being dark and not wanting to spend time out there but I am wondering what is amiss, weak spring ? stiff cable ? or one on't cross beams gone askew on't treadle.

Any ideas? I will take a better look tommorow morning but it is all a rather complicated system of linkages it seems

Larry 2.25 petrol series 3

Reply to
Larry

Just gone out and taken a look with a torch, seems that it is not cable operated at all, but like the old fashioned bicycle brakes, all rods and levers. Seems OK but the spring is rather weak. Perhaps some WD40 on the joints and a replacement spring. Now how easy is such a spring to come by? looks like I will be resorting to rubber bands till I can get one.

Reply to
Larry

Interesting selection of rods and linkages isnt it :). I imagine that your local landrover shop should be able to sort you out with a spring. I had to clean a lot of paint and crap out of all my pedal linkages and pedal boxes to get smooth and non-sticky pedals when i first got the landy. This could help on yours?

I think i came across some springs in my garage the other day from when i took mine off to fit the diesel engine (which is linked almost straight to the accelerator by what looks like a bent coat hanger...)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep I am going to clean all the muck off them tommorow (weather permitting) I suspect it was the cold this evening that caused the accelerator to stick in the first place so that the spring did not have enough oomph to make the return. Damn nuisance though, I thought at one point I would have to take my shoe off and use my toes to raise the pedal while driving.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Mine broke down today too (not totally, but my battery was almost flat when i tried to go out for my tea, so i cut my losses and went in the car). It must be one of those days!.

I had to jump start the range rover too, and my mates car got stuck in the drive for 10 minutes after it flooded itself while trying to start. grr!

Reply to
Tom Woods

why does it have such an intricate and bizarre rod accelerator system. has it got to do with the hand-throttle??

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

The rod and lever throttle linkage of the Landrovers up to S3 is typical of cars designed before Bowden cables became reliable under continuous use such as in a throttle. When these first became common, (e.g. Mini) they soon earned a reputation for failure, but have since been much improved and failures are now rare. While there is more to go wrong with the lever and rod system, any problems can usually be fixed easily by the roadside without parts, which is more than can be said for throttle cables. And an occasional drop of oil and a look over usually stops any problems before they happen. JD

Reply to
JD

Indeed my heater cable is still completely seized up until I get a replacement.

Reply to
Larry