TomTom Go 700 useless in a RRC with heated screen!

Bugger me, as I'm using the RRC as my full time ride due to work at the moment, I needed to find a specifiic address in Barnsley today & as i approached on the M1 the thing couldn't tri-angulate etc. Is it the heated screen (useful as it it is!) or just the very 'flat' screen angle?

Never mind etc, but it wasted half an hour on a silly busy day.

I still got the order for the schools (£135k) so i could afford an outside reciever etc!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

It is the heated screen, as you suggested the only answer is an outside receiver.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Hunt

Heated screen. I've got a seperate aerial for my Garmin Quest which sits in the bottom corner of the screen where there are no wires.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

You can get external antennas for tomtoms

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Nige

I've got one. Used it in the previous Disco in the corner of the screen where there are no elements, works a treat. Don't think I need it now, drop me a mail!.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

I have one of the old Tom Tom's and use it with our Sierra which has a heated screen and it works fine does not seem to be any difference from the car to my works van which does not have a heated screen, but all the same they are great aren't they ?

Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Odd, never had an issue in my Disco with heated screen? However, an external antenna will resolve the issue. Or wait for the enxt generation. The new TomTom ONE has a SiRFstarIII receiver which is not affected by heated screens, athermic windscreens etc. Doubtless the current GO's will be replaced by models with the SSIII chipset in due course.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Bit late now, but where in Barnsley?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote in message news:4386d582$0$1473$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...

Our Rangie Classic & Disco had big issues with GPS Mouse. Had to use the sunroof on the Disco.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

P38 and Garmin GPS12. Never a problem - just took a bit longer to acquire.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Just bought a One - quite impressed so far, but I've found one oddity I was wondering if you'd noticed.

It's rigged to download traffic and weather information using my mobile as a GPRS modem over Bluetooth every 15 minutes whilst en-route. If for whatever reason my phone's out of coverage (Happens quite a bit on the M62/18) then about 10 seconds after it fails to talk to the server then the unit reboots.

Have you seen this with your test unit at all? It's caused me some rather spectacular detours due to doing so 200 yards before some complicated junctions and not coming back until I've overshot.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I'm toying with idea, it would have been useful on Friday to dive off down the backlanes to get around the closed bit of the A71 whilst they pulled a lorry out of a field. What any GPS must do is have full 7 digit postcode entry and auto rerouting. It would be nice to be able to put proper OS maps, of selected areas, at 1:25,000 scale into it as well.

How much does that cost? The sub to the service and how much data is shifted every 15mins? I have a Trafficmaster YQ but with an expired key. With the Tom Tom service can you see the national road conditions and decide your route or departure time accordingly? Being able to watch the traffic build and die on the YQ is very useful and being able to see conditions a hundred or more miles away allows you to choose which side of the country to travel down or to stay on a particular road, or not, way in advance of the trouble.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I haven't because it's a royal PITA transferring a Traffic Sub from one device to another but I'll make enquiries and let you know. The OS is essentially that of the GO and I've never had that issue on any of mine but we'll see.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

The subscription is Euro 59.95 for one year (UK) and the data is minimal, an update poll consumes about 4-5k, update frequency is user definable too.

The data is supplied by iTIS who provide TMC data for all UK feeds, it's OK, sometimes poor but often better than nowt!

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Ah - in which case you may be interested in the fact that the retail versions come with a months free trial of the Traffic service :)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

40 quid or thereabouts. Plus, on my tarrif, about 12p a poll for iffy data. Think I'll get a new YQ key...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice