mondeo front heated screen

hi, my 98 1.8td mondeos front heated windscreen has less and less areas that are working. is this likely to be the screen or a connection problem? where is the connector located? is this a common problem etc etc. Thanks for any feedback on this matter.

jamieT

IIRC there are three connectors, one each side and earth in the middle, so if it was a connector problem you would lose one side, rather than patches. So it sounds like you need a new screen, circa 160 quid I believe.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , jamieT writes

Its divided into drivers side and passenger side, each with its own power supply. Any individual areas that don't work within these two halves are likely to be down to a failure in the elements within the screen. If you have got fully comp insurance then perhaps its time to "pick up a nasty stonechip".

Reply to
Paul Giverin

When i had my Mondeo heated screen replaced RAC Auto Windscreens said the list price was over £700!!

I only paid the £50 excess on my insurance - glad i have fully comp!

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

I think windscreens, perhaps more than anything else on a car, need shopping around for.

I was under the impression that I had the screen cover on my insurance. The quoted price from people who the insurance suggested (Autoglass) quoted me £460 for a heated windscreen, £360+VAT for a standard one. I promptly phoned around the yellow pages and got a non-heated one for £82 fitted. Had I wanted another heated one it'd have been £165 for cash.

When you're ringing around, keep a list of who you've called and what they've quoted. Don't be afraid to haggle. If they ask who's doing it for cheaper, reel off the cheaper quotes you've had and the names of the places offering them. Round down the prices too. As Mr Tesco says - every little helps.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

engine,theres a connector each side of the windscreen and to gain access to them you need to remove the plastic skuttle pannel where the wipers are,if you have a line here and there on the screen not working then it may be a new screen. Si

Reply to
simondo

thanks guys I have windscreen cover so now to find a stone

jamieT

Careful you don't do what I saw on a comedy show once - heave a breeze block at itwhich bounces off the untouched glass and puts a huge ding in the bonnet!

In fact, just pour a few pints of hot tapwater over it in the morning and don't worry about it...

jamieT wrote:

Reply to
PC Paul