Trailers and insurance

I was horrified to discover that my 'fully comprehensive' insurance policy with RBS Churchill on my Discovery reduced to third party only when towing a trailer. I've now cancelled it and gone to the NFU who have no such devious clauses - but BEWARE !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Been with NFU for over ten years now.

Excellent insurance, 10% off for Land Rovers, free business cover.

Reply to
William Black

In message , William Black writes

But, when I swapped my 200tdi Defender for a 300tdi Disco, the NFU insurance about doubled in price. I do like the way you deal with a real person who seems to rely on a real paper file though.

Reply to
Bill

Try and get a quote elsewhere, I found a cheaper price elsewhere, phoned NFU to cancel and mysteriously NFU found that I qualified for a "special discount" that bought the quote down to a few quid cheaper than the rival quote.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Lets see what everybody is paying!!!

NFU

2000 Discovery GS TD5

Fully comp + business

Full no claims

No points

Just got my renewal £327.89

regards

Terry

Reply to
Terry

NFU, fully comp + business, 1997 Audi A4 and 1994 Defender 110, breakdown cover, no claims, no points, £628 combined for the two of them. That was £20 cheaper than last year.

In the past I've been able to phone up and insure additional vehicles on a monthly basis for about £30 per month, phone up, request it, covered from midnight that night, it's been quite useful from time to time when I've just bought a new car (e.g. the pinzgauer) or have used someone else's car for a while.

Also when I've phoned up to tell them I've just added something to the landy or taken something off (e.g. turning it from a hard top to a rag top to a pickup) they've never cared, and also are fine about the vehicle being off-roaded on green lanes.

Having said all that I've never had to actually make a claim yet!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes that's petty much what I'm paying them for my ES TD5 model year

2001 - they have the farm buildings, contents and my JCB as well

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

NFU

1994 disco 300tdi auto full comp + tow caravan +protected ncb max ncb £20 per month They have just paid out on my stolen 200tdi 2.5 weeks from reporting to receipt of cheque, the assesor was VERY fair with the offer, but I haggled over £50 just for the sake of it :-)

We do have every thing insured with them and I am old and decrepit

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

1996 Defender SWB County Station Wagon, full comp, £175
Reply to
William Black

Hum, I'm going to have to talk to NFU again. Norwich Union Direct =A3416= last Nov for a 2001 DII TD5 ES. I did wander into their office in Penrit= h a few years back (after seeing previous reports of good cover and value = in here) but their quote was silly high compared to NUD.

How are you guys contacting NFU, web, phone, broker, office? That repor= t of Churchill being 3rd party only when towing has made me nervous. I mus= t check with NUD...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is the OP sure that the car's cover was reduced to third party when towing? The more usual situation, often badly explained, is that only third party cover in relation to the trailer (i.e. not damage to/loss of the trailer) is provided on the car's policy but the car cover is unchanged. I'm not sure where damage to the tow car by its jack-knifing trailer would fall though!

Reply to
Dougal

How are you guys contacting NFU, web, phone, broker, office? That report of Churchill being 3rd party only when towing has made me nervous. I must check with NUD...

---------------

The local branch of the NFU acts as an agent for their insurance arm.

Just phone them up and ask for a quote.

I deal with the office in Kirbymoorside who are very good.

Reply to
William Black

I just phoned up the local office in Alton (when I lived near Alton), I still phone them even though I live many miles away now, and when I used to live out there when I was in a hurry to get something done I could just stumble in there waving papers at them and they'd sort it all out then and there. No big corporate headquarters and call centre staff with scripts to follow.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

1986 V8 110 CSW, full NCB, no points etc, fully comp + business use for me + wife

Just renewed for =A3150 NFU Oban.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

to/loss of

jack-knifing

Yes I'm sure - they even wrote me a letter confirming the specific point !!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You're well shot of them, then!

Reply to
Dougal

Lets see what everybody is paying!!!

2006 Range Rover Supercharged - Esure £300 (for a 500bhp 80k car at time of insurance?)

1997 Discovery 4.6V8i with external cage etc etc - A-Flux £550

2001 Mitsubishi Pinin 2.0 Petrol - NFU £350

I'm a tad confused here .... surely ... oh well :)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee