Young driver car and insurance advice reqd

This has probably been asked many times.

But I am about to start learning to drive a car (17 and male).

Without even getting insurance quotes etc.

Does anyone have suggestions on type of car which is the cheapest to insure and with which insurance company.

Reply to
stevesmith

Try here

just whack in your details and it does the rest.

Reply to
Matty

Quinn-direct.com seem pretty cheap for new drivers. Get third party insurance, and get a relatively cheap (under 2 grand) car, that can last you a few years until you finish uni/college or start earning proper money in a job.

Some of the lowest insurance group cars are also quite new, so try stick to older ones, that you wont mind writing off, just incase. You will be surprised at the amount of dangerously slow drivers on the road, that do things you don't expect.

Get a pre year 2000 car, save your money for when you're older. Forget adding alloys yourself on, if they come with the car as factory standard, then fine.

A practical enjoyable car is good, and you will likely find one shit-heap will also have an equivelant priced non shit-heap that could last you a few years, and be a similar price.

Reply to
David R

Seconded the recommendations for

and

Look for something that's straightforward to drive but as low insurance group as possible and worth next to nothing - Fiat Cinquecento springs to mind. Get quotes for third party only and third party fire & theft. Look at how adding a voluntary excess to the policy affects the premium. Try adding to the policy as named drivers one or more relatives who will be rated by insurers as very safe drivers (mature, held licence since forever, no claims or convictions) - they don't ever actually have to drive the vehicle. Have a look at

he'll have some other tips on there on paring the cost of your insurance as low as possible. Things like garaging it, adding a recognised security system, etc. etc. may help. Best of luck.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

And at the risk of offending you, one of the most important thing to remember, once you have your insurance, is that little cars with four mates on board, steers and brakes like an ocean liner. It may save your lives ! :-))))

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

That's the bog standard 900cc by the way, not the 1100cc sporting.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

================================ Even more surprised by the number of dangerously fast drivers who do silly things. Like the young idiot driving at a 30mph single lane humpback bridge near my home at about 70mph. Both he and his lifelong friend are now safely in the cemetery where they won't be able to endanger any slow drivers going about their lawful business.

Reply to
Cicero

Cut your balls off and get a sex change . . . our lad is 18. ins quotes are approx 2.5 times what his twin sister is quoted for the same car. prices from £1,700 to £5,000+

Higher excess helps BUT some put extra excess on anyway so you end up with a big potential excess bill. Boys are BAD drivers. Doing PassPlus can help get some ins quotes down but it does seem to be accepted only from the higher priced firms to start with ;-((

Reply to
Money4Nuffin

The message from Andy Cap contains these words:

In well documented fact, one of the best ways of staying alive as a male teenaged driver is not to carry your mates in the car.

Reply to
Guy King

I was driving around the country lanes through all the farm land behind my home town one time and I took the corner too fast, the front of the car wound up hanging over the edge of the ditch and it was front wheel drive.

All the lads in the little metro got out and lifted the front end around and back onto the road. Could've got muddy in that irrigation channel...

Reply to
Billy H

God, you can see why people buy new cars for their kids just to get the free year's insurance....

Reply to
Vim Fuego

There is a balance in life; drivers who decide to suddenly stop at a roundabout, go to move off, then stop suddenly for *no* reason are dangerous, and younger drivers do have issues doing double-checks, a cause of silly accidents that could be easily avoided.

IME not all young drivers are "boy-racers", only a select stupid few. Not doing all the required checks, to accomodate for dodgy drivers, puts a lot of young people in a bad way, with high insurance premiums the following year, with those usual whiplash claims from the other driver.

Reply to
David R

..but they may be useful if you get stuck in a ditch...

Reply to
Billy H

no they don't - usually the small prints says over 21 only....

Reply to
Money4Nuffin

===============================

=============================== Stopping at a traffic island is no danger to following drivers if they're keeping their proper distance, and every driver has to make a decision as to whether it's safe to enter the island or wait for a safer gap in the traffic. Entering the traffic flow at islands at an inappropriate time is a common cause of minor accidents.

I didn't suggest that all young drivers are 'boy-racers' but insurance statistics confirm that young male drivers (especially when accompanied by a similar young male or males) are the most accident prone drivers on the roads.

I'm not a killjoy about speed but inappropriate speed is a killer.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from "David R" contains these words:

Yeah, they do it all the time and I easily avoid them!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Billy H" contains these words:

Particularly since having them in the car is often the prime cause of you being in the ditch in the first place.

Reply to
Guy King

This is too true.

Reply to
Billy H

2 of my mates got Corsas as first cars with free insurance.

I paid =A3800 8 years ago on a group 4 peugeot 205 (1.1GL). Car did me just fine and saved me cash so i can have a proper one now :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Yeah, because you're aware it may happen, from experience. Experience is what should make younger not so good drivers more mature and realise what's likely to happen - reading the road better as they drive more and more.

When they start out, without this experience, and the shitty slow unrealistic real-life driving lessons they're used to, it's not a surprise so many have accidents.

Reply to
David R