Transfer Box Leaking & Noisy.

the transfer box on my defender is leaking oil through the handbrake drum, and when driving there is a noise when using any amount of acceleration. Only seems to do it in forward gears?

I presume a seal has gone, if not worse?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Andy

Reply to
andy

If it only does it in forward gears, not reverse, I don't see how it can be the xfer box.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

If the gears have worn, then they are likely to be worn on the most used side, i.e. forward.

Reply to
SimonJ

They leak some as mine does. Im getting gear noise at highway speeds and when its cold but I dont now why. Does your hand brake work?

Reply to
news

The hand brake is not working as it should, when I took a look at it, the shoes are covered in oil, which is what I presume is causing it not to work.

Its definitely oil from my transfer box, is it possible to use a thicker oil, or something like one shot grease? As per my Dif's and front wheel joints?

Andy

Reply to
andy

The oil leak is certainly through the seal. It's quite possible that it has failed due to the handbrake shoes dragging a bit - which could also be the noise. However, it would be worth checking the propshaft UJ's (particularly the rear front joint) as these can make all sorts of interesting expensive sounding noises.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Cheers Richard, I had "noises" when the UJ went on the front prop, more banging though, but I will definitely look into that.

I will have to look into replacing the seal/seals, I suppose the handbrake assembly will have to come off, now that will be fun.

Andy

Reply to
andy

M'mmm. My 200tdi is also leaking through the handbrake, I had already diagnised seal but above interest me...

Before I recently (maybe 3 or 4 months ago) put new shoes on the handbrake I had no oil leak. New shoes did drag a bit to start with, the drum got *hot* to touch but have now warn down and handbrake currently works ok, BUT I have an oill leak...

So, is it the heat build up that affects the seal or something else?

As i have the handvbrake to strip down again to replace the seal I dont want to make the same mistake again when I put it back together!

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Jon

Somebody told me that the hand brake drum is balanced, and if re-fitted the wrong way round can cause problems. I recently moved the drum round whist I had "again" got is stripped down, and now the oil leak seems to have stopped??

Maybe a coincident, but I am happy (at the moment)

Reply to
andy

On or around 1 Mar 2005 11:15:17 -0800, "andy" enlightened us thusly:

I'd expect the drum to be balanced, like anything else that spins, true, but for it to be balanced after bolting it to the gearbox output shaft beggars belief.

's like propshafts. The propshaft is balanced, as a unit, off the vehicle. It shouldn't make any difference which way round it's put on.

The only difference with propshafts is the thing about flange angles, one related to the other, and where that's critical they should have alignment marks. Anything that really matters which way round it's fitted has some form of asymmetric mounting or dowel to align it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No you did not do anything wrong. Just bad luck.

The handbrake drum is balanced but as it locates over the propshaft bolts it can only fit on one way. So you can't get it wrong.

you don't need to take the shoes of to do the seal.

Remove the pin on the linkage and there are four bolts that hold the handbrake back plate shoes and all. Remove this in one lump.

good luck

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:28:46 -0000, "Marc Draper" enlightened us thusly:

well, it can go on one of 2 ways, ISTR...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Stick your head under a 200 defender and have a look !

Two ways of getting it over the prop bolts but only one of those will let you put the screw in ! So you can 't get it wrong.

Reply to
Marc Draper