travel in axle behind rubber dustcap

I removed the dustcaps of the rear axle to check for leaks. (Defender 130

2002 TD5) I found (with both wheels jacked up) the the part behind the dustcap (halfshaft i suppose..) can be shifted about 3-4 mm in and out on both sides. Is this normal?

thanks Fred

Reply to
Landy Fred

Same as my Range Rover - so it's not abnormal!

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

thanks Simon!

"Sim>

Reply to
Landy Fred

"Landy Fred" wrote in news:41bc3ee6$0$73574$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl:

If it's the bit I'm thinking about, the travel is meant to be regulated to within spec (see Haynes) and that is achieved by using special washers in varying thicknesses which come in packets of 10 (all the same size in the packet, of course!! This is Land Rover!) and available from your local LR dealer.

Does it matter if it is out of spec? Apparently "not much", but don't take my word for it!

There was one missing on my 300Tdi. A kindly mechanic found one for me and we guessed it might be about the right thickness. Anyway, in it went making not one blind bit of difference that I can ascertain -- but at least all the "bits" are now there.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue