Uprated brakes on 90

Hi

I have one of the SA built BMW powered 90's. They came out with vented discs in front but as I am adding a supercharger to the mix, any suggestions on upping stopping power would be appreciated. Source to be either UK or SA.

From Africa

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 14:00:33 +0200, "Aubrey" enlightened us thusly:

bigger servo?

the vented disc setup is pretty damned good to start with. I doubt you can gain a lot without spending silly money, for example by fitting larger discs and 6-pot calipers...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Your best option without spending a huge amount of cash on new calipers is to go for cross-drilled & vented discs and greenstuff ("Road/Sport" Compound) brake pads on the front and blackstuff (heavy duty 4x4) pads on the rear. Should give you 30% + extra braking. Am thinking about doing the same to my 90 at some point so if you go with it let me know the results.

Have a look here:

Fergus Kendall

I've done exactly this on the Discovery, and it works very well. My brakes were shot to start with, but they now lock all 4 wheels very easily, even in the dry. So tyres are now the limiting factor, which is exactly as it should be.

The only thing I would say is that there is notably less 'bite' when first used each day, but this could also be a hydraulics 'feature' of my car!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It is possible to get cross-drilled vented discs for Range Rover/Defender fitments. Think it is Mintex that make them, but not entirely sure.

As far as I understand LR brakes a pretty effective as standard, after all they need to be effective when the vehicle is fully loaded and with a heavy trailer so ought to be very effective when unladen.

I would be more worried about improving the handling...

Reply to
David Willerton

There are different brakes on different models. The 110 had (IIRC) six-pot calipers on the front, and are reputed to be the best brakes on a Land Rover. I considered putting 110 calipers on the Discovery, but it starts to look expensive when the existing calipers are in good order.

The various Land Rovers I have driven have varied from quite good to positively dangerous. So much depends on the state of the braking system - before doing anything change the fluid, fit braided hoses and get the adjustment spot on. When what you have is properly set up you can evaluate whether you need to spend more money.

I did mine because all four disks were shot anyway, so I was going to be paying out for genuine disks and pads, plus a fluid change. The differential cost of the upgrade was not all that high in those circumstances. Total cost was about £350, including solid to vented conversion kit and labour for all four corners.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 16:00:00 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

which 110? are we still talking south african ones? I've never seen a 110 with 6-potters.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The best value for money upgrade is to replace the flexi hoses with some decent stainless braid ones. Then put some better pads on.... Then put some new discs on it...

I can supply all the bits as follows: Hoses £33 for a set of 3 Pads £49.50 ( uprated grade kevlar ) 55 hole vented / cross drilled discs £ 90 a pair...

Carriage to SA - I'd have to look....

Hope this is some help

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA 4x4

What's the path for uprating brakes on a 200 Disco? I already have the braided steel flexis

P.

Planning upgrading his brakes *before* letting Allisport do their thing.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

IMHO the hoses make the biggest value for money difference... If you already have them then go for the pads next... Then, especially if they are up for renewal anyway, fit some drilled discs....

Prices for the Disco are pretty much the same as posted above..... the discs are the same only the pads may vary but not by a great deal

David LLAMA 4x4

01938.850382 if you want any more info....
Reply to
David_LLAMA 4x4

Currently running grooved EBC discs, vented with green pads. Handling is by OME and EVO II kit sans anti-roll bars ;-) but this is not built for speed, merely for heavy towing. Adjusted the speed limiter in this regard to only

230 km/h now ....joking. Rubber only rated for 100 mph so in reality, no eletrickery can replace common sense.
Reply to
Aubrey

Have replaced brake fluid with racing fluid and already fitted braided hoses. No close shaves yet and thinking of that, may be overly cautious.

Reply to
Aubrey

Vented discs might be available from Disc Brakes Australia. Check their on-line catalogue at

. Agents in South Africa - see
I can't get on at the moment

Ron

Reply to