Uprated disk brakes

Hi all,

I have Discovery 2 automatic and the brakes will need reshoeing at the next service.

I am thinking about improving the braking and have read different articles about vented disks and better pads.

Has anyone done this and how has it turned out? Was it worth the extra money?

I look forward to reading your opinions

Kind regards,

ErnieH

Reply to
Ernie Hastings

On or around Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:26:21 -0000, "Ernie Hastings" enlightened us thusly:

EBC "green" pads are reckoned to be good especially in hot conditions; and with an auto, you have less engine braking available which can put more load on the service brakes. You'll already have vented discs on it, so not much to do there except maybe have drilled ones, I think the main advantage there is in very wet weather.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes (on a Disco 1).

Very well worth it. Braided hoses are the first step to enlightenment, followed by EBC Green pads.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Ernie Hi,

Your Disco 2 must have vented disc brakes at the front and non vented ones at the rear.

The next step, as already quoted, is to fit stainless steel braided brake hoses. These will increase the feel of the brake pedal and make it less spongy but will not make any difference on the actual brake performance or its ability to withstand heat.

If you wish to increase your braking system's efficiency in and make it perform better from higher speeds or during those prolonged downhill drives I would suggest you fit kevlar pads (but they tend to be a bit underperforming on very cold days until you heat them up) and also fit drilled or better still drilled and grooved brake discs both at the front and rear.

EBC and other brake components manufacturers produce drilled or grooved or drilled and grooved brake discs so you do have a wide choice. My choice was to use those manufactured using OEM disks with holes and grooved done on them on a lathe by a friend in the UK. All the kits I have fitted to my vehicles and those of friends are still performing wonderfully without any problem and making the wooly brake pedal feel from overheated brakes a memory of the past. They have even managed to rectify this problem on a 2.8 tonnes heavy Camel Trophy Discovery 200Tdi during downhill extended drives on hot Greek days (about 42 to 45 degrees Celsius in the shade ambient temperature)

I would also recommend a good quality DOT4 competition specifications brake fluid and changing it once at least two years (better still once per year or more ofter if you are into frequent deep water wading)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Interesting article you requested:

Jack

More of a sales pitch than an article IMHO.

David

Reply to
rads

Hi,

Many thanks for all your comments and in particular Pantelis.

Food for thought!!

Regards,

ErnieH

"rads" wrote >

Reply to
Ernie Hastings

Ernie you 're welcome.

That is what this newsgroup is all about after all. LR owners providing support and comments to fellow enthusiasts.

I believe David (Llama 4x4) or Richard (Beamends) will be able to provide you with some very interesting goodies so as to increase your braking system's performance.

Take care Pantelis

Pantelis Giamarellos