V8 Disco leaking

I am looking at a V8 Discovery (MY1994) with a mind to buying it but it has a fluid leak at the front/bottom of the engine.

It looks like engine oil but it may be some thing else.

The vehicle in question has an auto box and air con so there is plenty of pipe work at the front all with a lovely coating of slime.

Are there any common leaks I should check first? Are there any likely leaks that I should just walk away from or get the vendor to fix? Are there any leaks on the front of the V8 I should just learn to live with?

(on further inspection It is mainly wet around the front pulley and sump gasket)

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards Pete (not yet the proud owner of a Disco)

Reply to
ntl

My 95 V8 Discovery leaks in (probably) the same place. It runs (not quite the right word!) down the front and onto the filter/sump. It looks like its from the RH (from drivers seat) rocker cover. Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'm getting the hang of replying now...(old fart - me!)

If you can't find a chemical test - any old mechanic should be able to do a pressure test on the system - that'll at least prove that you're not imagining it.

I had a rad fail at the bottom by the chassis/bumper mounts - there was so much oil down there that it took me ages to spot it.

Cheers

Mark HH

Reply to
mark hh

I thought I'd got the hang of replying...

..I replied with the right message to the wrong person - sorry.

I relyy have hit old farthood!

Mark HH

Reply to
mark hh

in article clrqd2$154$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, mark hh at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 28/10/04 11:04 pm:

Proper old farthood is when you get someone else to ask questions for you, because you still haven't figured out how to open your own mailbox/newsgroup and can only type three words every five minutes.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley