V8 Disco Auto Transmission?

Hi,

I've had a 97 V8 Auto Disco since October. I've never owned any auto car before.

There is quite a clunk when going from Drive to Reverse and vice versa although there's more going to Reverse. Is this normal or a sign of impending doom? Seems to be some sort of backlash in the transmission. It is hardly noticeable when everything is cold but more significant when all is warmed up.

Thanks for any advice.

Pete

Reply to
Peter D

If it's a Series 1 Disco rather than the Series II then it's possibly the A frame ball joint (where the A frame joins the rear axle).

Other than that you could be looking at transfer box wear or slack virtually anywhere else in the transmission. It's very unlikely to be the gearbox itself.

Personally I'd check the A frame ball joint, check the proshaft UJ's and splines and if it all checks out OK use the LID technique.... Let It Develop :-)

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks for that..

I like the LID technique!! I was just concerned that may lead to catastrophe....

Cheers Pete

Reply to
Peter D

Another option is that the idle speed is set too high and this puts undue strain on the trans when shifting between modes. I am not sure if this is a possibility.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Try driving at about 50 mph so that the converter has locked up then gently accelerate and decelerate and see if there is still a clunk. Then jack up one wheel at the rear and with the diff lock on rock the raised wheel and observe the prop shaft for motion and check the play in the rear diff. Then do the same for the front, this should give you an indication of where the backlash is. Don't forget this is basically an agricultural vehicle so expect some play.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Our 1995 V8 does the same. no clunk when cold, big clunk when hot. Ive had a good look round it and come to the conclusion that a little bit of slack in everything adds up to a lot of slack. Thick oil when cold suppresses the noise. One thing that does help a bit is when going from D to R is to pause at N for a second or two. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi,

Piglet is a V8 auto, he has had that clunk since day 1, I just sit in N for a second or so, then R, or P. B4 that I owned a 5 speed auto Exploder, that was the same, as was the Cossie Scorpio b4 that, and the 2.0 Granny b4 that....

Sticking it into N lets everything calm down.....

Neil

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Fri, 7 May 2004 11:23:22 +1200, "Peter D" enlightened us thusly:

there's a lot of transmission which all has to turn round and go the other way... you should hear mine, sometimes it sounds like someone hitting the underside of the chassis with a hammer...

obvious things to check are the propshaft UJs and splines, and the front axle CV joints. how much mileage has it done?

but working downstream from the gearbox, you have:

2 sets of transfer gears centre diff propshafts axle diffs half shafts and on the front axle, CV joint.

any or all of these can have play in 'em, and most of them have. CV joints in particular, depending on the quality of maintenance.

also, check your idle speed - if it's idling a bit fast, then you get that much more crash, due to the torque converter being more engaged.

However, I'd not willingly now go back to a manual box on my 110, the auto is much more laid back for driving. If I drive the disco, it's a right pain having to change gear.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Neil Brownlee writes

Mine don't - but I did replace the front prop shaft UJ's not long ago.

Reply to
hugh

Hehe,

Maybe it's just me then ;-)

Nelly

Reply to
The Neffalump

Nah mate, sniff, they all do that don't they.

....at least both of the ones I've owned and others that I've driven have :-)

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around 08 May 2004 16:39:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

all autos have a tendency to do this, in fact. it's 'cos the drive is never actually completely disegnaged.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks everyone,

In answer to Austin's questions it's done 81,000kms.....(should have posted that)....

I'm not too concerned now given the amount of reassurance.....

Pete

Reply to
Peter D

Hi