V8 engine probs

3.5 v8 in a 110 developed a knock yesterday, suspect its serious. Is it big ends or little ends that tend to go on these?

Whats the way to go? Rebuild or look for a complete engine, if the latter should I stick with carbs or look for a 3.9 efi engine. I want to stay with LPG.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

Little-end failure is very rare, big-end and main bearing wear is highly probable but for the wear to be severe enough to actually become audible on a rover v8 engine most likely leans the crankshaft will definitely need reground. Is it a deep knock around idle or a sharp loud rattle as the engine revs up? Is it a light constant rattle like tappets?

Easy to fit a 3.9, just change the needles in the carbs to ensure correct fuelling. Note, this needs SU carbs, not strombergs, as there aren't suitable needle profiles available for the 3.9's fuelling requirements with strombergs. Whereabouts are you? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

It was fine when I drove it on Tuesday not even the slightest noise. Next time started yesterday morning deep knocking noise. Dont think its a tappet. Did compression test today on a cold engine as I didnt want to run the engine to get it warm and all figures were I thought ok,

130 - 140. I'm in Northants. Gerald
Reply to
idris

On or around 29 Oct 2006 13:02:14 -0800, "idris" enlightened us thusly:

not common to have a big-end go suddenly from no noise to knocking like that, mind. normally they go through a stage of knocking a bit once hot...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 29 Oct 2006 13:02:14 -0800, "idris" enlightened us thusly:

mean to add check for silly stuff like pulleys loose on shafts - spent some time speculating about a knock on an engine once before discovering the PAS pump pulley was loose on its shaft.

Reply to
Austin Shackles