V8 LPG Questions

Have a Defender 110 with a V8 that has twin SU carbs with a Landi Renzo LPG conversion that was on it when I bought it. The LPG is fed in to a device between the carb and the manifold. This presents a restriction to the air flow and whilst I can see that it might be necessary to get a venturi effect to make the system work, I am keen to do away with any restrictions to the air flow and potential consequential power implications.

Is there a way to stay with carbs but avoid this "restriction"?

If the restriction has to stay is it possible to fit efi in a relatively straight forward way?

If I fit efi would it be preferable to go for the flapper or hot wire system?

How much of the present LPG equipment would have to be replaced?

Would there be power or economy benefits from doing this work?

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

Not really, the gas system needs a venturi to operate.

Flapper would be cheaper, but more prone to backfire damage. Hotwire will fit, with the correct 3.5 discovery fuel map and tune resistor, but will be more expensive. Still have a restriction though, due to gas system's need for a venturi to operate.

Just the mixer, really.

A small power increase due to the efi system having a far superior inlet manifold design in the first place, but then there's that venturi restricting the airflow still. If you are intent on going efi, then a better solution is to go the "whole 9 yards" and fit a hotwire system complete with lambda probes and run it closed-loop, then convert to an SGI type of lpg system. This is the only way you will eliminate the inlet restriction, boosting power and giving better economy in the process. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:36:39 +0100, "Idris" enlightened us thusly:

You have, of course, got a similar restriction in the carbs themselves, for exactly the same reason...

Reply to
Austin Shackles