V8 grinding noise + oil pressure light

Hi Gurus ;-)

Piglet has been making funny noises for some 6 months now, first we thought it was the tappets, then the starter, now I'm not sure at all :(

On cold start there is a 2 to 3 second whirring/grinding noise then it goes. This has been the only symptom for 6 months, when the gearbox went south, we did not change the torque convertor (this is in the same area - rear of the engine) where the noise seems to coming from. ATF is right colour.

Oil pressure has become a pain in the last few days, 2-5 seconds with oil pressure warning light, then it will go off, but sometimes it comes back on for a second. After that, all fine, no noises, no loss of power of anything. All warm starts are normal (except above noise may or may not occur - seems very hit and miss).

Any pointers greatfully appreciated. I am picking up a runabout on Sunday, so having him laid up should be no hardship if major work is called for. The runabout is an L322 :-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Hi Neil,

Just a thought, but do you think it could be the starter motor pinion not disengaging?

Regards Pauly

Reply to
PM