CV Joint on a 200 Disco

Anybody know what one of these should cost to replace?

I have one that I suspect to be decidedly bad (500 miles, no lube, lots of grinding) and I'm getting silly numbers (upwards of £400) quoted to fix it.

Is this even vaguely sensible?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Paul S. Brown composed the following;:

RCV Doncaster recently changed all 4 discs and pads, CV joint, and a full service for £450 parts, £620 ish total. Not a bad charge methinks, 'specially as I didn't have the time myself. '97 300 Tdi Discovery.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Can't you do it yourself?

CV's are something like £25 +vat from paddocks at the moment, grease will be 6 quid and maybe another 20 quid for seals and gaskets if needed. If it's like the defender one it's suprisingly easy to get to.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:10:38 GMT, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

Pattern CVs from Paddock are about 56 quid, and it's about 2 hours work tops to replace it, even if you start from not having done one before.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Get yourself a hub nut spanner first it makes things easier in the long run,

52mm AF sockets are hard to come by.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Where abouts are you?

We now do repairs!!!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

They are on Paddocks special's page at the moment for £25 + vat, it's almost worth buying a pair 'just in case'.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Buckinghamshire. I suspect this may be a little too far on a dodgy CV...

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Ours was clanking and 'grabbing' for about a thousand miles, 700 of which were towing. We didn't have an option but to carry on, at the time.

If it's only just started happening, then it may be that it will last quite a while, just don't go daft in it, and probably off-roading would not be too good for it either .. )

Reply to
Paul - xxx