Vague Steerting - Any more ideas

The steering on my 90 is really vague. I have already replaced the ball joints on the drop arm from the steering box and the damper too but it still won't hold a straight course and you have to constantly apply a little left or right lock to counter the wandering, not sure what else to try. (The previous owner apparently replaced the steering box and swivels in an attempt to cure it). Steering also feels quite heavy, wonder if the box is faulty?

Reply to
Andy

It was the box on mine (Defender 110 County).

A new box cured it.

Although, prior to that I had found that the drop arm would drop slightly (sorry for the pun!) on the splines and that would also give excessive movement at the wheels needing continuous correction.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Does it look as though these parts have been worked on?

It is a Land Rover - it could be 'normal' if you're not used to it - are you?

As for your basic problem, look at all the suspension bushes front and rear especially the front four bushes on the radius arms and the panhard rod bushes.

Look out not only for worn/tired rubber but also loose/worn bolts and bolt holes.

Tyres relatively evenly worn on each axle?

Reply to
Dougal

I guess it's similar to the rr with a rubber coupling in the column? Mine split, fairly obvious but you only notice it if it's right way up at the time and you might not be searching for it.

Reply to
jg

Thanks for the reminder - stiffness/heavy steering - lubricate the universal joints between the steering wheel and the steering box.

Reply to
Dougal

When you selling the 90 mate?

Reply to
Nige

Not for a while, will be swapping for a 110 but not until the Autumn.

I really want this one, drool............drool.................drool...............

Way over budget though :-(

Reply to
Andy

swivel pin preload affects the series steering a lot. Does the 90 have the same pin and shim arrangement? Take a couple of shims out and see if it improves it! Did the P.O set it properly when having the swivels apart?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think that we may need to qualify the word 'swivel' ... I suspect the OP's original mention of it may have meant the universal joints in the steering column not the swivels at the axle ends as we are thinking. Having said that, I suspect that the axle end swivels have not been disturbed and are the most likely cause of the problem.

Reply to
Dougal

yes. I mean the big shiney swivels at the end of the axle :)

OP - go check 'em out!

Reply to
Tom Woods