Back on the road

I am back on the road again after redoing the front axle of my bug. And all is good, with one small finding. Seems that the steering is stiff as compared with before. This is a ball joint frontend and I replaced all the ball joints and tie rods with new ones. The steering box is old but was working fine before. The steering feels darty and while it does not require excessive force to move the wheel, it is close to driving a go cart in steering response. The steering will not try to come back to center when you let the wheel go nor will it move when you let the wheel go. Just not sure what I need to adjust to get this back to normal.

As for the adjuster install, all that went well with a couple hitches. I now I have about 2 inches of drop on the front and it looks balanced now instead of driving with its nose in the air. Just a slight nose down look. Just what I wanted. The ride is good and smooth, not stiff as I had expected. I ran new hose from the brake resevoir to the master cylinder and that all looks good now. Installed a new steering damper and new Red Ryder shocks.

Reply to
TerryB

...gotta love those days....

...Gareth