Vegetable oil v's Diesel

That's what I'm thinking, I'm a pipe smoker and there's a good pipe tobacco shop near one of the suppliers, so tootle off in the landy to get my fuel and my smokes at the same time once every few weeks! I reckon 200l will last me almost a month at my current consumption. Depending on shape, I'd probably fit 2x200 in the back of the landy, whether I'd be able to get it out again at the other end or not is another matter. Some chap mentioned 45l drums though, which might be better.

I'll give them a bell on Monday, do let us know what happens re your enquiries.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ah! So you have no actual experience of these fantastic savings.

Forgive me for saying that this is rubbish. It has just dawned on me that you have not worked out yet that when a fuel distributor qutes a price for derv it is always exclusive of VAT while the pump price is always inclusive.

You will be a very disappointed.

Sounds very much like you know-it-all but know f*** all at the end of the day. *You* do the ringing. I actually do it on a regular basis.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You and I know this but Ian lives in some other dimension. On average I save about 2ppl or less.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I'll call them tomorrow to check, I'm pretty sure I asked them for the proper consumer prices, we'll see what they say.

There's no need for any of that, it's perfectly possible to say to someone that you think they're wrong without dropping rapidly into insults.

Also you can get DERV-equivalent for 70p/l, and that's no modification, no worries about rubber parts stuff from suppliers already quoted in this thread, perhaps you could try them. I'm hoping that there won't be any hidden gotchas but others are already doing it so fingers crossed...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Appologies. You are wrong though as you will find tomorrow. Even considering adding VAT on the distributor price, this will add less than 15ppl. The price you will be quoted will be to tenths of a pence per litre and usually varies daily with the market rather than in bigger though less regular amounts at the pump. Nevertheless there will not be much in it. I would not be surprised if it was within 3ppl either way.

I would not risk anything except the best quality diesel in a common rail or other high pressure system due to reliability and repair cost issues. In fact BMW who use Bosch systems in common with many others, specifically advise against biodiesel even as a blend.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Try

;-)

Huw of course this site is there to catch the gullible possibly specifically for this situation. If you think petrol can be delivered by post direct through your letterbox then oh boy. If you think the site is genuine have a look at the legal statement.

Reply to
Huw

Great site until I saw this:

"If you drive a huge four wheel drive (e.g. Discovery, Shogun, BMW X5) then you are a sinner against the environment and other road users. Buy something less stupid."

Even with white diesel at 55p/l they ain't getting my business.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Heh. "Sorry there appears to be a problem with our ordering system".. Damnit I want the 1 litre of petrol I ordered!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

70-75p per litre including duty and VAT for the biodiesel. The 'gotcha' is that the page was last updated Dec 2003...

Bio-power V100 road fuel

This fuel is designed and made as a direct substitute for normal diesel. It will run in any compression ignition engine without any form of modification. You do not need alternative fuel tanks or fuel line switches etc. Just pour it into your tank and drive away!

It is a darker colour than derv, and it is more sticky if you spill it down the side of your car. When burning it smells totally different to derv, more like the appetising smell from a fish and chip shop.

This fuel is made by our additive blending process, and it is not Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME), in which the fat stock is transesterified, thereby making a by-product of glycerol. Our unique process modifies the fat by separation, blending and polishing to ensure the optimal burn characteristics in a broad range of engines. Our method does not use any mineral chemicals, or create any waste by-products. In our fuel the entire energy audit of the fat stock is made available for use as a fuel. Our V100 fuel out performs both Derv and Bio-diesel. This fuel can be mixed with ULSD, and any of our other V series fuels.

Bio-power V100 currently costs 70p to 75p per litre which includes Excise Duty at a rate of 27.1 p per litre and VAT.

It can be delivered by most Bio-power Local Agents, and we recommend private customers use our 200 litre storage containers which can be installed in your garage, and from which the fuel can be gravity fed to the vehicle. It is also sold in 1,000 litre containers, called IBCs.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Didn't notice that, hopefully, given that in the FAQ they say that they try to keep it at about 5p to 10p cheaper than normal diesel, with any luck (fingers crossed) it'll be cheap enough to make it worth trying out. I'll phone them on Monday.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Neither you nor Dave scrolled down past my sig then?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I thought that I'd better chip in again!

I paid =A3145 for 200 litres of bio diesel (all duties paid). It was recommended that I fit a heater in the circuit, that was =A360 diy and very simple. You also need to fit a filter as the bio-diesel tends to pick up the crud from the tank that the diesel doesn't.

I am running a one tank system. The first tankfull should be a 40/60 (change filter), the second 70/30 (change filter) and after that 90/10 (the 10% is required to give enough fluidity to start and the filter should be OK from that point on).

I believe that you can get electric pre-heaters in which case you can run 100% bio. It is also possible that if you know that you are going on a long run to fill up just before the run with nearly 100% bio as what is in the system will start you off OK. It just needs a bit of planning.

My first motorway trip will be tomorrow. This stuff is supposed to improve performance (as it naturally oils the cylinders). I'll let you know how I get on.

Richard (my local supplier) was saying that they have recently converted a very modern Audi with no hassles. I expect that he'll update the website in due course.

Cheers

Peter

Veggie 110 CSW Hillman Imp Rover P4 110

Reply to
puffernutter
***I paid £145 for 200 litres of bio diesel (all duties paid). It was recommended that I fit a heater in the circuit, that was £60 diy and very simple. You also need to fit a filter as the bio-diesel tends to pick up the crud from the tank that the diesel doesn't.

I am running a one tank system. The first tankfull should be a 40/60 (change filter), the second 70/30 (change filter) and after that 90/10 (the 10% is required to give enough fluidity to start and the filter should be OK from that point on).

I believe that you can get electric pre-heaters in which case you can run 100% bio. ***

I think you confuse veg oil with biodiesel. Proper bio-diesel is around 10% treated veg oil and 90% petrochemical. It can be used with none of the effing about mentioned above. Even this is specifically warned against in BMW operator manuals, certainly my X5 diesel.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Nuts, have just phoned them and they quoted me two prices, and the with-vat price does indeed come out at about 2p cheaper. I asked them if this had changed from about a year ago and it hadn't, so I checked my spreadsheet from a year back that I'd used to do the calculations on whether it was worth me getting a tank in my garden, I'd correctly calculated the difference as being just 2-5p tops back then. Quite why I spouted all that claptrap about 20p cheaper I don't know, given that a year ago I knew it wasn't true. I would blame old age but I'm only 34 or so.

According to bio-fuel.co.uk, biodiesel is a strong solvent that dissolves rubber parts gradually (I've seen this stated on many bio-fuel sites) and strips the coatings off the insides of fuel tanks, blocking filters (don't remember seeing that one before). They say this is due to the way it's made, and as such they don't recommend its use. They reckon their main product is different as it's made in a different manner without the resulting solvent properties, not being a chemist I can't verify any of it, but I only intend to keep the Audi for another 2-3 years anyway so I'll give it a spin and see what happens.

They also do a range of other fuels for different applications such as generators and industrial plants, some in solid form, but their main product is something I'd like to try out. Their site doesn't inspire the greatest of confidence but then nothing short of recommendations from car manufacturers would, and that's not likely to happen even if a non-petrochemical fuel was perfect for use.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

OK, my terminology was loose, sorry.

I have purchased (as I said in earlier posts) bio power V100 Fuel, described as below:

"Bio-power V100 vehicle fuel, which can be used as a direct substitute for DERV, or ULSD, in unmodified compression ignition engines. This is our cheapest fuel and the most popular. It is not made from 100% organic materials, but includes some mineral content that would otherwise present a waste disposal problem. This fuel is available from all Local Agents"

It would seem to be a semi half-way house between pure vegetable oil and bio-diesel.

A very modern Audi was recently converted with relative ease to use the V100 fuel. I'll try and get some more details.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I like the bit about the bio fuels especially Vin Diesel available "in red, white, pink or sparkling" I must admit it had me going for a while

Andy

SWB Series 2a ( dressed as a 3) "Bruce" It's big, it's mean it's really, really green

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Yes I did but I wanted to see at which point they crapped out with an excuse. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to put my credit card number in.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I thought the V100 was the one that needed no modifications? That's what they say on the products page, and only start talking about modifications (heat exchanger and in some cases special igniter) when you look at the V107 and above fuels.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well, I suppose you got there in the end and if I was more inclined to suffer fools gladly you would likely still be spouting 'till Christmas. :-) I dread to think what another ten years will do to you :-(

Good luck.

I can assure you that rapemethylesther is extensively used in some areas and some engine manufacturers and car manufacturers do not have any objection to its use in specific vehicles. No modern high pressure common-rail type engines are in this category AFAIK.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I've been scatter-brained since my youth, thankfully years of abuse from all manner of chemicals don't seem to have made me any worse. Old age tends to make people more intolerant though so I'd suggest you make the most of your friends now hehehe...

It's the common road-going engines that my cynicism will not allow me to believe will gain "boi-fuel compatible" stickers until the petro-chemical lot have less influence.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings