WABCO air pump spares

Recently the air compressor on my TD5 Disco air suspension had to be changed as it was blowing fuses. I've just pulled the old one apart, and all that seems to have gone wrong is that one of the small coil springs that press the brushes onto the comutator has corroded and is no longer entire.

Any idea who stocks WABCO spares, or a source of the small 'clock spring' (ie made from flat strip and coiled) springs so that I can resurrect the old pump.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I tied to get spare for my old wabco pump, as far as i remember they do exist (In leeds i think) but dont support old stuff.

Try Thorite in Bradford, they may be able to help?

Reply to
Nige

Wabco didn't make the pump. It was bought in complete. I think you'll find that it was a 'non-servicable' unit from their point of view.

There were at least two potential manufacturers but I can't remember who eventually got the contract. I did have a Wabco drawing (but, naturally, can't lay my hands on it when wanted) and seem to recall that the motor itself was bought in complete from a third party.

I'm on the look out for some similarly shaped springs for the brushes on the old big Wolf drill (the two-handled 1020W ones) - if anyone knows a potential source, please shout!

Unlike normal coil springs I think that most of these flat strip springs were custom made and finding a source will be a problem. Back to Google, I fear.

Reply to
Dougal

Photos would help... where there is a will and all that!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Modify some out of an old Lucas dynamo or such, failing that ask any watch/clockmender to make you some from the pattern.

Reply to
Oily

That's a good idea, or two of them, that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks.

Reply to
Dougal

Back in the 1950's as an apprentice I had to fettle electric motors with brushes

Now I know its a long time ago and my memory needs fettling

But didn't radio spares do brushes for electric motors

OR perhaps local electric motor repairers ???

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea