RRC Tyres lifts etc.

I fancy fitting some extended wheel arches (50mm) & getting it lifted by a couple of inches.

I was gonna use the original RR alloys (get them painted grey) & fit the tyres to them.

Will 265/70/16 be ok to fill the arches, will they foul anything?

Or would 265/85/16's be better?

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:44:48 +0100, Nige enlightened us thusly:

thought you weren't going to bother?

depends what you're planning to do with it. On very soft ground, the wider the tyre the better - however, my experience with 31x10.5s on the 110 was that on firmer slippery going they don't always work better - there's a good argument for sticking with 235/85R16, for which you'll want about a 2" lift to fit 'em in sensibly. Plus they're an easily-got size, on account of being on all the more recent defenders.

There's also the point that with getting on for 2 tons of motor, unless you fit tyres about 30" wide, it's still going to sink in soft mud.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I thinik your prolly right. I have to lift it really for the tyres etc.

N.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sat, 03 Apr 2010 15:54:02 +0100, Nige enlightened us thusly:

Taller tyres will improve the diff clearance of course, which is the most important bit. Apart from looks, the 8-spokes with 31x10.5s didn;t do a lot on the 110. The only minor advantage there was that the rims had more offset so I could later the lock stops to get more lock. That's another argument for not going too OTT on RR tyres on standard rims - the larger the tyre, the more likely to hit the radius arm... by going to a taller one you make it a bit nearer, if you go wider as well it gets worse.

Standard setting is 20mm clearnace, although I've never worked out why, if they don't touch, that's OK. In fact, if they *do* touch, but only lightly, that's also OK cos you're only ever at full lock at low speeds. When I got the 110, it was on 7.50s and had been set deliberately to rub slightly on the radius arms, so as to get maximum lock.

Reply to
Austin Shackles