RR Classic Springs

I have a set of four springs from a diesel RR, one pair have green stripes (7.5 turns), the other red/white stripes (8.5 turns). Can anybody tell me which ones go on the front, as I need to change mine - the o/s one has broken in two places. (Might be something to do with running a diesel lump on V8 springs)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Usage on these is very mixed. Don't expect to match the free length on used springs!

NRC4304 - white/red stripe 170 lbf/in, 16.95 inch free length, always seems to have been a rear spring

NRC2119 - green stripe 150 lbf/in, 16.13 inch free length, is most normally a front spring (even on diesels) but did see some use on rears.

If I read you correctly I don't think you were planning to buy any new ones - if you are there are other possibilities that may suit a diesel front end better.

Reply to
Dougal

Green stripe are standard rear springs, the red/white are police spec rears, quite a bit longer and stronger, made to carry all the extra equipment they carry.

Reply to
Oily

No, I'm not planning on buying new ones. I'd *like* new ones, and i'd

*like* a 3" lift and i'd *like* big tyres, but i *dont* like the bank manager chasing me down the street with a big stick.

I have fitted the green ones, it's certainly riding a lot higher than it used to.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

That's probably a good move - I've now remembered that my V8 fronts were the blue stripe 572315 133 lbf/in and 15.4 inch free length.

I'd recommend the NRC4304 on the rear - they worked a treat for carrying my 'unnecessary' junk but without any nasty side effects.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:34:50 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

I've a vague idea that the green ones are diesel-spec fronts. There's a chart somewhere on line that lists them all, or was.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Untested but google found this...

HTH

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Mm. I've had quite enough with the work i've done this weekend, without changing the rear springs as well.

Now has new discs, pads, track rods, balljoints and the replacement springs. Didn't do swivel bearings, but they are far too loose - dont seem to have any preload at all - so that and new seals is for next time. Along with new caliper seals.

However, it now pulls significantly to the left, which it didn't before. Any ideas, or should I wait untill I get new tyres?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Oooo I'd be getting the tracking checked , Of your list unless there is a brake binding its obvious thing to check, Is it pulling all the time or just when braking?

I once had something contaimniate the pads... got them nice and hot and they sorted themselves out but that really foxed me for some time.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Don't waste time or money until you've sorted the swivel bearings or you may find yourself chasing your tail!

Don't try to get away with just re-shimming them: it won't last and you won't see the benefit of the good work done so far.

Reply to
Dougal

Pulling all the time, tracking has been done as its had all new track rods and ballkoints. Front tyres are tempoary ones, both part-worn Brigestones, while I get a new set of 4 fitted

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It needs new tyres anyway, two of them are bald on the outer edges (as a result of bend n worn track rods/ends) and the other two are nearly out. The tracking has been done. As for the swivels, I will do new bearings and re-shim on the next occasion. I suspect bad tracking has been masking the poor swivel bearing condition for a while

Also, will be changing the rear springs for those red/white ones I have, as the vehicle is now higher at the front than at the rear!

When's the next 4-day weekend? Alex

Reply to
Alex