Wales trip pictures

Here you go!

Ian Rawlings

These photos reminds me of an area on the Brecon Beacons we drove as a Land Rover club off road weekend over fifteen years ago. It was the Sarn Helen route IIRC at a section called "the steps", but can't remember where it is so I can have a look at the route on Google Maps, anyone please point me to the actual location.

Not that I'm likely to go again but would like to trace the route we did via google maps or 192.com for nostalgic reasons.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Hello Stephen, there was a section on our planned route called "The Steps" that I didn't do as the first team on that route judged them to be too slippery at the weekend just gone, there was a lot of ice on the lanes we were doing. The marker on my route map is at SJ171325 and apparently on a steep-ish lane there's a number of stone steps up to 2 foot tall on a lane leading north towards Tregeiriog, I didn't see them myself so don't know much about them.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hi Ian, I'll have to get an OS map of that particular area and check it out for clues. I am familiar with Llangollen and "Worlds End" to the north but not the southern part around Tregeiriog.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any map info on your photos either ;(

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

If you click on "map" then zoom out you can see where it is relative to the road network, but the satellite data isn't there and the view starts zoomed in so close that you often can't see anything.

Apparently the actual steps are further south on that lane from the point I mentioned, and are known as the Pheasant Pen Steps, I'm told one member from the first group went up and down them OK so why we were told to avoid them I don't know.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ah Now I see what you mean on the map info shown on your photo's, I didn't notice the map link last time I looked.

I find 192.com is sometimes better at showing more detailed info than either multimap or even google maps.

Anyway thanks for the help, I can now see where I've been ;)

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull