ATTENTION VW DOCTORS / 67 BUS SYMPTOMS

Long time, no post from me .. Hello all !!

Had my bus to the mechanic last week. Finally found an exhaust manifold and my mechanic installed it for me. I am NOT mechanically inclined .. but I do know when something is wrong with my bus .. and sometimes I have a vague idea what is wrong. [not often though]

Anyway. He replaced the manifold "thingy" and when I picked her up, the generator light was on. It was FOR SURE not on when I dropped it off. So I suggested that maybe a wire wasn't connected or it was not connected the way it came off .. [lots of parts had to be removed and replaced during this surgery.] The mechanic too a TOO QUICK LOOK and said, "nope, everything looks fine." The generator light remained on. A few days later my battery was dead. I really REALLY didn't believe the battery was the problem, but it was old and it was foaming at the mouth so I got a new one [as he, the mechanic, suggested.] Two days later .. the new battery is dead. Got a jump. Went back to the mechanic and he said "must be the generator after all. The voltage regulator is new [ a year or two or three ] and then he said he tested the voltage regulator and it was ... "something." meaning, "working fine." I needed to find a generator.

The battery charged for 4 hours today and the mechanic said it would FOR SURE get me home. It did .. BUT ... The generator light was OFF. And when I got home, I turned the bus on and off a few times. No hesitation when it started.

QUESTION: Wondering if anyone feels I was correct a few days ago when I thought there were some wires crossed or loose?? because as I said, the light is not on .. didint' even flicker, the cd player acted fine for my 1 hour commute and previously, when the generator was NOT working, the cd player would turn off and on a few times during my drive.

~~ Diane Whatever

Reply to
jeWINK.WINK

You might be correct that there was a loose wire and he "fixed" it this last time.

Doesn't matter now though...

Beg/borrow/steal a multimeter and *measure* the battery voltage when engine is revving. If it reads ~14V (give or take), you know the generator is working and charging the battery correctly.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks, for confiming what I believe to be true. I mean, NO WAY could the light just go out magically, like it came on, magically .. When I got in the driveway before starting her back up again, I turned the key in the on position, both lights are working . .so it isn't as if the light burned out.

. All the way home from work, I have a 35 mile drive, I was wondering "is she charging?" and kept saying to myself . ."sure she is ... " I know I was right .. A wire MUST have been loose ..

BTW .. Here is Molly

~~ Diane Whatever

Reply to
jeWINK.WINK

Nice work.

Apropos of that, here is a photo essay/slideshow of the ones that haven't made it back from the dead...yet:

It's a part fo the bigger story of "Smith's Fix-It Shop"

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It was a happy-sad time when I painted the bus. I used to keep a bucket in the back filled with different colored paint pens. The kind you use when painting model airplanes. When I would go to my grandkids house, they would say "can we paint on the bus?" and I said "sure!" So they would go out there and color. One day we were talking about a complete new paint job. They picked out the colors .. My granddaughter picked her favorite color, orange. My grandson picked his, green. And I couldn't decide between pink and purple, so I ended up with Pinkish-Purple. Then we had to decide whose color would go where ... that took some time .. Then my grandson got cancer and we had a year of hospitals and chemo etc .. Well .. he died less than a year from when he was diagnosed. He loved that bus .. He was 4 years old and he would sit in it for hours, pretending he was driving it and/or playing in the back. So after thinks go somewhat normal in the family, I decided that I should paint the bus. He used to ask all the time, "when are you painting the bus?" I hated painting over his art work though !!

Diane

Reply to
jeWINK.WINK

Must have had some flooding there for so many of those to be up to their axles in dirt like that.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing that. The Bus lives for him...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

That is a really nice story -- sorry to hear it had a sad ending. Thank you for sharing it. Remco

Reply to
Remco

voltage when engine is revving. If it reads ~14V (give or take), you know the generator is working and charging the battery correctly.

Just wanted to thank you for the advice. Took the bus to my son's house. He had a tester. The generator tested 13.8 and so I assume the battery is charging just fine !!

Diane

Reply to
jeWINK.WINK