water loss sensors?

After having spend the equivalent of 7.600 Pounds to have a head gasket plus other damage to the TD5 diesel engine repaired, I definitely want to have an extra sensor fitted that warns of coolant loss, overheating, etc. Do you have any experience, advice?

By the way, the (fault less) temperature gauge did not show any overheating as the damage occurred, so beware.

Reply to
Uli

Hi Uli

I have just fitted a third party device which monitors engine temp, oil press, water level and one optional sensor.

It was from hewitt industries. If you want you can contact me off group and I can send you some details and pics. I am on steve at checkitsystems dot com.

Reply to
fanie

£7,600? You could have bought several recon engines for that price! I doubt a new engine would have cost that much!
Reply to
SimonJ

That's the quote (1.1 metre long) from LR Cape Town. Price 57.152.77 South African Rand. The price for the Short Engine alone is R43.925.46.

I was also speechless.

Reply to
Uli

I really appreciated the info you have send me, Stephen. Thank you.

Reply to
Uli

Uli,

Subscribe to the ZA_LRO mailing list, and ask about the little black box availability in Cape Town. I only know who fits it in Gauteng.

This is a much discussed subject.

The subscription site is >

Regards Greg

Reply to
Greg_False

By the way, the (fault less) temperature gauge did not show any overheating as the damage occurred, so beware.

If you have anti-corrosives or anti freeze in your coolant, the best water loss sensor is your nose - there is a distinct smell to leaking coolant with additives. Also hot engines have their own smell - it's saved me a few times when I wasn't keeping an eye on the guages constantly (who does??)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

I must say that I have had two burst hoses and both times I never smelt a thing. Usually my nose is pretty good.

If the water does not fall onto something hot and start steaming and making all sorts of smells, then chances are you will be none the wiser until forward motion ceases.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie