Way OT. Pasta

If pasta is left in water overnight it goes soft,could that be heated up and used, or does it need cooking in hot water?

Just a daft question 'cos I eat a lot of pasta and don't want to poison myself.

Rory Manton

It's Not Pink It's Telemagenta

Reply to
Rory Manton
"

Beware pasta can contain mites that need killing off, due to high heat in cooking.

You could always put it in a bag and strap it to your Land Rover radiator then drive in to the blue yonder. Het presto after a while cooked ( ..... or so the thgeory goes )

Reply to
Hirsty's

You can eat pasta raw so I dont see why not

Reply to
Richard

Most of the livestock that would grow in unsterilised pasta won't hurt you - it's not a good culture medium for the really dangerous bugs. If it doesn't smell bad it probably won't hurt you, but if it was me I would cook it unless it was a choice of going hungry, as the boiling involved in cooking will sterilise it pretty well. Most parts of the world the unboiled water is more likely to make you sick than the fact it has been soaked in pasta overnight.

Reply to
JD

Meant to be tongue in cheek coment; i'll bet most civilised food we eat in the west contains more serious problems that the odd bug in wheat. Salmonella for one

Reply to
Hirsty's

But does it go soft enough? If so, go ahead and eat it. I'm reminded of the time I used a slow cooker to make a stew. The potatoes were as hard as rocks after about 8 hours of cooking. That's when I learnt that potatoes have to boil to be cooked.

Reply to
Viviane

Parboil them first. That or microwave them, which is almost the same thing.

Reply to
PDannyD