suspension, why the difference?

why is it that the rear suspension parts (springs and shocks) are the same yet the front requires slightly stronger on the drivers side?

if it was a 90 with the fuel tank to one side then I'd see the point.

assuming the engine puts the same weight on each side then that only leaves the assumption that the drive is there alone most of the time.

how does that justify beefing the suspension? yea I know I'm not exactly a lightweight but really...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

For a start, the engine and gearbox/transfer case are offset, and yes, I think they DO assume the driver is the only load a lot of the time. Furthermore, according to my manual (SLR621ENWM) both front and rear springs are different left to right. Perhaps more significant is that the springs are described as "Drivers" and "Passengers", not left and right!

Keeping a Landrover level side to side is a significant problem for the designers, given the long suspension travel and lack of sway bars on most models. JD

Reply to
JD

Fairy fluff...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sat, 20 Nov 2004 06:39:56 +1100, JD enlightened us thusly:

and the fact that the factory tolerance is +/- half an inch, ISTR.

not all spring sets (coil ones, I'm mostly talking about) have different springs both ends.

Reply to
Austin Shackles