Way OT - Sky +

Evening!

I have had sky + for 3 months now, making use of their '3 months half price' promotion.

However, I want to ditch the movies part of the package which is £14 per month i think.

I spoke to a woman at Sky who informed me that if i do not get at least one 'Premium Package' ie Sports or Movies, i would have to pay £10 per month for rental of the Sky + box. If you do get a premium, you get the box for free. So overall i would save £4 per month.

Since having it installed, me and the mrs have recorded shit loads of films to the hard drive - waiting for that rainy day with nothing to do before we watch them (along with the whole 4x4 is born series!). The woman at sky said that if i did ditch the movie package, they would delete the films from my hard disk, via the phone line (which has to be connected as part of the contract!) regardless if i had watched them or not.

A - Can they actually do this or is she just trying to keep me paying. B - Is it worth £4 per month to have the moveis considering the cinema is twice that.

If A=1 and B=1 then Sky=Bastards! If A=0 and B=1 then Sky=Cheeky Bastards!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Dunno but....

I've been speaking to a friend at work who has "Ring sky" on the kitchen calendar... every 3 months they call and say "We are thinking of leaving sky due to the cost", Sky oblige by giving 3 months at 1/2 price again...another note goes on the calendar.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Nice one Lee

Ill be on the phone tomorrow, after looking at a very attractive package from NTL :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

They don't actually delete them but they do clever stuff with the encryption so you can't watch them.

I've kept it but only 'cos it's £4 and not £14. Now and again there's something I'll watch although currently my small son has the Magic Roundabout on a continuous loop.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

On or around Thu, 25 May 2006 22:45:58 +0100, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

is this a drive on the skybox itself? simple answer, unplug the phone line. Or do you want to keep it operating?

I assume they can send it a signal saying "delete stored programs"

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah, the programs are actually recorded on the disc in encoded format, so unless you have the appropriate card then it won't encode the programs. Hence if you remove the movies package your card will not be activated to decode those channels, and hence won't decode the recorded programs as well.

LOL - sounds like my daughter with "Tubbies" I do wonder when she will realise that she's seen the same episode 100 times over!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Copy the movies to DVD using the 'Copy' function in the personal planner to DVD, or are they encrypted to stop that? I don't know, we have the Sport package not the Movies. Ditch the Movies and have the Sport, got to be worth the £4 per month. We ditched NTL and got the Sky+, best move we made.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

I have to say I agree, our experience with NTL was appalling and we were glad to finally get rid of them (9 months after we first tried to get rid of them because some f-wit screwed up our contract and forced us into a 12 month one rather than the 3-month one we asked for - and were promised)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

I just had HD installed & amazing it is too. NTL are SHITE!!!!!

Just threaten them & they will break!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige