Weirdness with the clutch on a 110

Morning all,

I've been lending a few tools to a friend who was going to replace the clutch on his 110 200TDi, as it 'went' a couple of months ago. He came to start the work yesterday and thought he'd just try it and strangely the clutch now works. If it were me, I'd have the engine out to take a look, but he's less keen on doing stuff like that unless necessary - probably why his Landy is normally on the road and mine is normally in bits....

Anyhow, we're trying to come up with an idea of what could have happened. When it went wrong he was driving along and pressed the clutch pedal - everything felt fine but it wouldn't disengage and drive was still getting to the gearbox. He wasn't far from home to could get back in one gear and parked up for 2 months until yesterday.

My feeling is that it's something hydraulic as a. the clutch wouldn't disengage and b. it now works, so nothing can be too broken. Maybe the 2 month lay-up has allowed fluid to get back to where it should be? The odd thing is he says the pedal felt absolutely normal when it went wrong. Maybe the release bearing, but how would that auto-fix itself?

Anyone else had this happen or any ideas?

Thanks,

AndyC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

Check the flex hose - it's not swelling as you press the pedal?

Reply to
Craig

Just a quick follow-up in case anyone has a similar problem in the future...

After miraculously fixing itself, the clutch went again a few days later, so back to plan a. and the engine came out last weekend. We discovered that the metal frame that holds the damping springs (I think that's what they are, the 6 beefy compression springs arranged around the bush on the clutch plate) had broken, so one of the springs was floating loose. This had also caused the radial springs (that run against the release bearing) to become distorted, in that some were higher than the others where they contacted the release bearing.

Anyhow, new clutch and release bearing fitted, engine back in and all is well.

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland