WELDING: - beginners books posted in a.b.e-book.technical

theres a load of welding related booksjust been posted in the a.b.e-book.technical group, includes the haynes manual

wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

For someone who's rather computer inept (i.e. me!) please can you tell me what a "yenc" file is and what I need as an add-on to outlook express or as a stand-alone to read it. Also, when files are split up like that, presumably as a limitation on the size of posting, how do I "stitch" them back together again?

Ta, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Look for a usenet binary decoder programme that handles yenc and PAR files on Windows, I use nget on linux, I have no idea what exists for windows.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

must have a look over there meantime this is a handy reference to

Derek

basically you need a good newsreader that lets you download files. The files on usenet are usually accompanied by par or sfv files which check the downloaded files for accuracy. Download all the required files, place them into a folder, double-click on the par file to check accuracy then use winrar to extract to a complete file (usually a pdf file which can be read with acrobat) Required programs for downloading files are

A good newsreader - i use giganews for provision and newsrover for reading the news yenc is for posting files to usenet quickpar is to create par files winrar will extract the files winzip will also extract files

there are a few other utils but the above list is the basic requirements to handle downloaded files

if you do a google or yahoo search for downloading usenet files this will help too

Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

Thanks. I now know four times what I knew six hours ago. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Question from another ineptee (me!) How do I find the relevant posts when my newreader balks at downloading 56,000-odd headers?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Do em 300 or 500 at a time you can specify how many when you set up the reader I struggled like a **at trying to get IE with a plug in to assemble and decode the Y-enc. MOzilla wouldn't either in the end I installed Forte Agent which breezed through them and loads a heck of a lot quicker into the bargain tends to prove what various folk have said about IE. Thanks to Wolfie for the heads up on the posting just in time to treat Kato to a spot of remedial miggin' which is presently cooling down

Derek

What if the Hokey Kokey really is 'what its all about'

Reply to
Derek

Thanks Derek,

I fear that I may have shot myself in at least one foot as, getting fed up, I 'downloaded x and marked the rest read' and now cannot see anything related to welding ;-(

Was that Free Forte or non-free?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I installed the 30 day trial full version did you try the find facility just put in welding as the key word and it picks it up no problem . I'm having a busy weekend of downloads I found yet another version of RAVE online covering Discos and now P38a then a french RRC WSM I'll archive the lot soon never know what comes in handy . Derek

Reply to
Derek

on 56000, i've seen me downloading over 4,000,000 tags when i subscribed to a new group, had a good old time sorting it out too. Basically you download the newest 5000 or so, or do as Derek suggested and search for the word "welding" sometimes this won't work as posters make names which are rolled up into one i.e. newhaynesweldingmanual etc etc. When you have all the associated files in one folder, use the program "WinRAR" to extract them to the required pdf file. Usually with WinRAR installed, you just right-click on any rar file and scroll down to "extract" and it will do its job. Any probs, let me know. Hey Derek, if you read this and you can only download a couple of CD's over the weekend, isn't it about time to put another candle under the steam-powered broadband connection generator and raise the pressure a little...:-) you might get a few more kilobytes per day downloaded then hehehe

Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

Heehee got an acetylene torch cooking it mate doesn't do any good if the other end is running on coal though, jeez an hour and a half for 520Mb for the RAVE I can move satellites in less time. It did give me time to catch up on my sleep though I'm trawling the web looking for new caches of Landy related info to save what I will do in a little while is post a list of sites that offer free downloads for the group its a pity Mother is likely to be offline as he might find some to add to his extensive library, get well soon Martyn.

Derek

Embarassing my children ..just one more service I offer

Reply to
Derek