Whats this bit do?

Stupid question for the night, hanging head in shame.

There is a rubber donut shaped bit about 4" in dia, with a small wire-rope loop around it, attached to the front axle on my disco. It doesn't appear to have much of a function, and could not see amy reference to it in my manual.

What is it, as its really confusing me.

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hi Tony

That is a harmonic damper or in Land Rover terms a useless lump of metal that seems to serve no purpose, I took mine off when i fitted QT diff guards.

Peter

T> Stupid question for the night, hanging head in shame.

Reply to
scorpio

On or around Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:56:45 GMT, scorpio enlightened us thusly:

It's supposed to be there to remove some vibration or other from the transmission/suspension setup. I suspect it's one of those bodges the engineers do when someone complains that it's noisy or vibrates.

the cable is there in case it falls off it's mounting, so it doesn't fly down the road and kill someone, apparently.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This was an invention called a Harmonic Damper it is supposed to take small harmonic vibrations out of the steering, However I have over the years got fed up of banging my head on the stupid peice of pig iron and have removed them with no noticable difference.

Regards Brian Tonks Tonks4x4

Reply to
Brian Tonks