Wheel and tyre ramblings

Found out something today. Paddocks eventually delivered the steel wheels and Colway remoulds I ordered. When we came to fit the tyre-pressure monitors (basically a valve with a sensor on the end) we found that it didn't fit. Turns out that the valve hole in a steel wheel is much bigger than on an alloy.

So, we needed alloys. Trouble is, we've built this chassis with Series 2 axles. And the first customer demo is on Wednesday. Much head scratching and I remembered the Firestyle alloy. Quick google turned up Difflock, who list it (but pass the business direct to Nene Valley Offroad).

So I called Mark at Nene (who I've bought quite a bit off previously). No, the Firestyles won't fit a Series 2 axle (not even one which is never going on road). So we were stuffed. We talked about all sorts of options, none of which worked. This guy really knows his stuff about wheels and tyres.

I was just about to hang up when he said "Hang on a minute. Horribly expensive, but if you fit wheel spacers it could work". At that point I'd have traded my first-born for a solution, so we now have (all from stock) wheel spacers, new Firestyle alloys and BFG 265 All-Terrains. All for a grand, which is much less than the sum of the parts. A local mate picked them up this afternoon, and we should be rolling tomorrow! He would have built them up in an hour as well (except we need to fit clever valves, so we asked him not to).

Top marks to Nene Valley!

Just need to work out how to keep the front wheels vertical in the absence of any steering gear now....

Anyone want a set of Mangels wheels and brand new Colway 205x16 AT remoulds? £58 per corner was the price to me - I'm open to offers (although I'm tempted to keep them myself if nobody wants to come closeish...).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

That's not actually true, steel wheels can come with either size...

There are two sizes of valve that can be fitted to any wheel. These are known in the trade as "small valves" and "big valves" :-)

If you want a set of 8 spokes with small valves then shop around, they are out there and even wheels from the same supplier can come with either size. If you contact Paddocks you may even find they have both in stock.

Alternatively you could weld up the holes and redrill them to the smaller size. It's not like there's anything complex about the hole.

Ironically, I had to drill a small valve hole out to the larger size a couple of months ago on a white 8 spoke when I needed to fit a tube and all I had was large valve tubes. Half an hour later I found a tube with a small valve, sods law !

Either way it'll be a damn site cheaper than buying alloys and spacers, neither of which are a good idea if you intend using the vehicle off road IMV.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Didn't know about steel wheels with small holes. I probably asked the wrong questions. The boss wanted alloys in any case, because there is an element of cosmetics involved. Shame he was too busy to take my call when I rang to check before ordering the steels!

Agreed, but this 'vehicle' is never going to leave the 20 foot room it was built in, and will certainly never be fitted with an engine. It has, amongst other 'interesting' features, a variable wheelbase!

BTW, anybody want Series 2 front and rear diffs in good condition? They are going in the skip tonight if nobody shouts out. Free to a good home, but need collection from Barnsley.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs