split charge

A few weeks ago there was a post about split charging. The guy kindly sent me a diagram but since then my pc died and I lost everything. Does anyone have a diagram for split charging they can send me please, or if the same reader is here can I have it again please!! Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Richard,

I don't know if it was me, I did send a diagram, as a attatchment, can I sent it to your e-mail address ?

Steve

Reply to
RADIOTWO

Send it to me, I'll put it in the files area of

P'raps Phil could then add it to the FAQ?

Reply to
Mother

'Twas I. I have resent it to you Richard hope you don't mind me using your email.

Reply to
Wolverine

Thats great, thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

May be slightly against protocol but could you post the diagram to the group??

thanks jon

Reply to
Jon

On or around Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:36:32 +0100, Jon enlightened us thusly:

put it on a web page somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This is a very (very) bad, bad, bad idea.

Reply to
Mother

Why?

Reply to
Jon

Its against the group charter, and once you "allow" the rules of the charter to be broken, all hell breaks loose.

Many people don't have broadband, so any large messages tie up their machines involuntarily.

There are some binary newsgroups we could use, but for something as useful as this, a webpage would be really more use.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

fair enough.

Reply to
Jon
[Top posting corrected]

For the same reason it would be bad if someone with a lot of spare bandwidth were to accidentally send you a couple of ever-so-slightly broken DVD ISOs...

Reply to
Mother

And what would you be doing with DVD iso images? I dooo hope you're not pirating.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've (sadly) got far too many broken iso images of the (yet to be perfected) 101 Club video - DVD - anyone who actually knows what they're doing when it comes to making a DVD please feel free to stick your hand up...

Some here will have seen my prototype at a few of the shows this year, but I'm fecked if I can write a DVD which'll play on all home machines (home machines that _will_ play other written on a 'puter DVDs, that is) rather than just a 'puter... IYSWIM?

I've an (old now) DVD writer mainly used for backups and Pinacle Studio Pro. I did think it may be something to do with me running Windoze in a WMware session on this Linux box, so I've a dedicated (my first ever) drive just having Doze 2000 installed - still duna work...

Reply to
Mother

I'll get some info from my now-ex. He's into DVD authoring in a big way and is a lecturer on a multimedia course for a local Uni.

This could be down to a number of things but is probably related to the quality of the equipment used. Burning DVDs at the moment is somewhat comparable to what CDR's used to be like. It's a bit hit and miss on the quality. Pay special attention to the colour of the dye used on the DVD. Pretty much everyone I know swears by the purple ones (yes it makes a difference).

The whole situation is exacerbated by the fact that there are 6 different and incompatible DVD formats.

is a great site for this, provides loads of info and reviews on various players. It might be worth looking to see if the player you're talking about is listed and if you're burning the right format discs for it. To add to the confusion, there are two new formats out now. The first is a dual-layer DVD which I know very little about. The second uses a blue laser instead of a red one, whose increased resolution means you can store about 23Gb on a DVD at the moment. They're looking at doubling that shortly (probably dual-layer), though this format is not compatible with older drives (somewhat obviously).

Your DVD authoring also depends a *lot* on what software you use. I'll get some recommendations for you.

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

I wish I knew more about this as well, but not all home players will play DVD-R or RW etc etc. I understand from a mate who knows such things that the best way is to burn it to a DVD-R, but set the DVD Writer to burn it as a ROM disc, not a DVD-R. Unfortunatly not all DVD Writers will do this.

And I know someone who has a DVD player that simply refuses to play DVD-R's under any circumstances.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:02:08 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

not some region thing its it? not all players play all discs, style of fing?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What format have you captured it to? I've done quite a few DVDs without troubles. AVI is best source AFAIK.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In message , Austin Shackles writes

It's the Betamax/VHS thing all over again. Later DVD players will accept all formats.

Reply to
hugh

If you'd like a SVCD instead, I'm a dab had at 'em. Only thing is you're limited to 46 minutes per CD (or thereabouts).

Reply to
QrizB