Defender Rear Washjet/Wiper Not Working

Hi,

Ive just bought a 1990 Defender 110, but the rear wiper and washjet are not working. When I turn the knob on the dashboard nothing happens, but if I push the button I hear the motor wizz, again with no affect.

Is there someway to see where exactly the problem lies without immediately replacing the rear washjet motor ? Like to test if it may be wiring in the front somewhere or infact a problem with the rear motor ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
suibhne

If the washer motor makes a noise, it is probably working, and the problem is a break or leak in the water hose or a blocked hose or jet (similar problem on another car I found recently to be a kinked hose). Is there water in the reservoir? If it is like my 1986 110 the reservoir is in the rear door. The wiper will be a different problem since it is clearly electrical. Could be either wiring, the switch, or the motor. In the case of the motor, the output shaft may well be siezed - this can be freed, but the motor may be burnt out as a result. You have checked fuses? A long shot, since i think the washer and wiper use the same fuse. JD

Reply to
JD

On my 1990 110 County the washer bottle is common and has two pumps one to the front and one to the back. As has been suggested, look for a blocked jet then kinks in the pipe. You can also test the supply at the rear end, there should be a permanent 12v that is used for parking (As well as a switched 12v that takes it off park).

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter