WTB: tailgate for SIII, west mids, uk?

I'm dying to go topless (yes, even though the weather's changed back) but my SIII has a full rear door which would have to come off.

I've seen a landrover with a tailgate that reaches up just to the height of the rear wings so I know they exist, plus there are two sort of hinge things on the back of mine below the rear door presumably for bolting on a tailgate so it can swing down freely.

Has anyone (preferably West Mids area, I'm in Birmingham) got an old tailgate knocking around they want to get rid of, or can anyone recommend a supplier that won't charge an arm or a leg?

If I had a welder, some metal, some time, knew how to weld, etc, I'd knock one up meself :) Suppose I could always knock the glass out of my rear door and then chop the top off it but there'd be no going back afterwards :/

suggestions etc appreciated.

Just hunt around for an old S11 tailgate, they were in two halves and its the botom bit u need. Retail for a new one is about £60, I have one but we live on the Isle of Wight so its impractical sorry

Reply to
MH

You can get em quite cheaply, the tailgate does come in two halves, but the top half is usually fixed to the hard top. The bottom half just has two pins on the bottom, you slot them into the two loops you have seen, and put a washer and split pin on to stop it dropping off. You may also need the two chains that hold it at 90degrees, there should be two round things on the sides of the tub, the lower bits/wheelarch. They normally have two chains coming out of them, but yours may have been removed.

Alex

Reply to
Alex