XP OT

I'e got a new laptop with XP installed and it has decided to put the task bar on the right hand side on the screen (I must of clicked something) how do I get it back on the bottom of the screen?

It's driving me mad!

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Right click toolbar, make sure "lock toolbar" isn't checked. Pick up blank bit of toolbar with left button, drag toolbar where you want it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Thank God for that! well Steve really ;) I couldn't find an obvious way to restore the position.

Many thanks for your speedy reply.

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I'm glad your issue is solved. However I have mine (WS3) locked in position on the right. I find it much more useful over there.

Note: my lap-top is of the 'wide-screen' variety. Also I use 'Remote Desktop' quite a bit and those servers all have their menu/tool bars in the traditional location - helps prevent confusion ....

William Tasso

And remember to reset 'lock toolbar' so it doesn't accidentally wander off again.

Reply to
GbH

Steve,

Place the cursor over a blank part of the task bar (normally a blue bit), click and hold the left mouse button, drag the cursor to where you want the task bar and release the left mouse button.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2
[snip]

I most people on afl probably know already I use RISC OS 4 and I've purchased Virtual Acorn to use RISC OS 4 within Windows XP, RISC OS has the "Task bar" or "Icon bar" at the bottom of the screen so I am used to it being there, XP is setup in a similar way but my postings are always done through RISC OS.

Today I was using Google earth (XP only) and somehow managed to click the task bar over to the right of the screen.

On RISC OS I have application launchers setup on the left and right of the screen (similar to yours).

I also have widescreen on the laptop and can switch from RISC OS to XP and vise-versa with a simple button press so I can experience the best features of both operating systems on the same machine, however I am not very familiar with XP as you have probably guessed.

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Ahh yes, done that now thanks,

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Sorted now thanks,

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Prolly a bit late, but if you can load Fedora Core 4 on the notebook, then VMware you're sorted. VMware launches either XP or RISC (or whatever) in its own 'virtual machine'. XP is still a bit of a twunt to setup as it always wants to be god, but a bit of a beating with the virual stick generally sorts it (especially if you tell it that it has

64gig of RAM to use - which of course, it doesn't, but hey, that's why virtual machines are cool) :-)

I'm just looking at RISC actually - or will be doing so 'properly' when 'real life'[tm] stops getting in the way...

Reply to
Mother

As an aside, how on earth do you get XP to give you the shutdown/restart/whatever screen you used to get with W2K?

I know it's possible as I've seen a few XP machines with this enabled. Just got Charlotte a new laptop and can't for the life of me make it ALL look like the W2K she's used to...

Reply to
Mother

I think you have to enable the classic start menu - right click on start, select properties - start menu - classic start menu.

Reply to
Charlie Choc

give it up - vista is just around the corner.

ahh - try this ...

right-click on the desktop - select 'properties' select 'appearance' tab

fiddle till it's mended or broke :)

Reply to
William Tasso

Sounds interesting but I haven't the bottle to install another operating system, ATM the system is setup to run Virtual Acorn from XP's desktop with XP running in the background.

You do mean RISC OS? apparently there is another operating system although spelt differently also called Risc.

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Don't know sorry, I'm still learning how to use XP. I would like to be able to just press one button or one mouse click to shut the machine down though and not have to do it via Start, Turn off computer, Shut down.

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

How old is your PC? I think (pretty sure, but not confirmed) I've seen a box with the power key/button/switch programmed to do just that - ISTR you need to hold it for several seconds to initiate the shutdown

Have you investigated command scripting? Open a command prompt (formerly known as 'DOS') window and type "help shutdown" - should give you all the clues you need.

Reply to
William Tasso

He was talking about Risc OS, it's an old British operating system that runs only on ARM processor based machines, it's where the ARM processor that's all over the place originally came from. The first machines were the Acorn Archimedes, successor to the original BBC micro.

As such, Risc OS won't run under VMWare as the ARM processor will need emulating. There are Archimedes emulators available but I've never tried them.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Create a batch script that runs "shutdown -h -t 0" (I think). That starts the shutdown immediately. Then put the batch file on your desktop somewhere. For rebooting, replace the -h with -r.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

[snip]

The notebook is a brand new

ACER Aspire 1640 Microsoft Windows XP Intel Pentium M processor 740 (Centrino) Speed 1.73GHz Cache 2MB Bus 533MHz

512MB memory 40GB storage Plays and record CD's & DVD's (+/-, dual layer) 128MB shared graphics 15.4 bright widescreen Wireless built-in.

I've just noticed by playing around with the notebook/laptop that I can just switch it off, it then appears to go through the normal shutdown sequence without any problems AFAICT.

At least that has sorted the shutdown shortcut but what about start up? Is there a simple way to get past the "To begin click your user name"? On earlier versions of windows you could just press "Escape" to get past this login but there does not appear to be a way past it on XP.

OK its no big deal but normally with RISC OS you switch on the computer and it loads fully without any further key or mouse click but I can't get used to switching on XP and then waiting to click on this annoying user name thingy before I even get to the Virtual Acorn icon.

It doesn't appear to reveal any help on shutdown but the problem has been resolved ;)

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I was indeed. This is why RISC OS is always spelt in capitals and risk is I beleive lower case.

I think the Archimedes emulator is called red squirrel.

Regars.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull