you ##,.;'<>?;@#*` engine rattle latest

Well in a nut shell its in need of a rebuild. Big end on 4 gone and piston on 4 slappin I don'nt no which caused which but I am pretty sure the noise is the piston. I was advised by helpfull chap at Bradford engine units on Friday over the Phone that it would be this so its off to them for a rebuild I have been quoted £800 which seems very reasonable considering the price of a second hand lump and it comes with a warranty I priced up the bits to rebuild myself but by by the time you add machining costs there is not a huge saving.

On the bright side the cash we got off the asking price and the sale off the children oops I mean roof rack that it came with will more than fund it and i will have a reliable engine that can get us to cornwall and back for the jollies!

So in conclusion if you have a noise like a tappet and it isnt, have as many people as you can have a listen to it including a landrover mechanic, a diesel type expert, 2 engine reconditioners who all agreed with me that it definately was not a bottom end noise then remember above all else its a land rover it will be the one thing your sure its not and that it will be the most time consuming and expensive thing to fix Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhh you gotta love em. ( from the list of advisors I should have mentioned I am currently a house wife because being a mechanic doesn'nt pay enough for child care:-)

Thanks for all advice given Icky (feeling a bit red faced)

Reply to
icky

I'm sure you will, but make sure the warranty is watertight. You almost certainly have a "porus block" - just re-linering will only postpone the trouble re-occuring. There is a ceramic process that can be used in conjunction with new liners that works - if that is what they are doing then that's a Good Thing. Tread carefully is all I'm saying.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Hi Richard

Is a porus block common? How much is a replacement 300 block? Would I be better getting a warranted second hand unit and writing this lump off if the block is porus even after been ceramiced there is still a likely hood of a weak spot imo if I am stumping out for a recon I want it to be right. and be good for 100,000. Cheers Icky

Reply to
icky

I've got confused - I thought it was 2.5TD! 300's are no problem, any competent place can do it - no ceramics or anything required.

Applogies for getting you all worried!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

No prob the confusion is probably because I also have a 2a which has 2.5td in which is running perfectly and is for sale

Cheers Icky

Reply to
icky