ZF 4-speed odd problem

playing in the mud today (off-road site near pontardawe, excellent site for

25 notes for a day).

This of course was mostly low box and mostly in 1st and 2nd. spent a large part of the day with 'box in 2nd or 3rd on the selector.

on the way back, it's forgotten how to use 3rd or 4th; not the end of the world, it's quite happy at speeds of up to 45 in second.

It selects neutral and reverse fine, pulls of fin first, changes to second, kicks down to first if asked to, the first gear inhibitor works, everything appears to work, but it won't go above 2nd. Kickdown cable seems to feel normal, too, and disconnecting it makes no difference to the shifting or lack of it.

Now the symptoms to me point to the 2nd gear lock dingus being stuck. Assuming that it doesn't free off overnight, when it'll have got properly cold, what sort of job is it to sort this? and BTW, anyone know of any other thing that might cause these symptoms?

I'm about to look in the RAVE thing and see if that sheds any light.

I do have a spare control block on the gearbox which died of a failed clutch. Since that box was working fine and still changing gear up until the clutch died, the only thing that might be iffy is that it could have a bit of contaminated oil in it - it has been drained, since I took the nearly-new filter screen out of it.

So I could change the control block, which would let me at the same time change the dodgy kickdown cable for the better one, and might also get rid of the rather fierce upshifts which this box has tended to have.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds like you made the decision already, Austin. I'd give the replacement valve block assembly a rinse off in clean paraffin then a blow dry with the airline. Good luck. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hmmmm....I lived in Pontardawe for years. Went to School in Rhyd-y-fro.....lived on the top of Gelligron Hill! Ah memories......miss the Music Festival :(

Neil Founder

Neil Brownlee

On or around Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:50:02 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

ooer.

The offroad place is at a place called Banwen farm, ISTR the sign said. 's basically the top half of a hill. some very nice features on it, and they keep adding more apparently - been going about 8-10 months. Enough non-damaging stuff to have a go at, and some more tricky bits for the nutters^Wserious types. operates every first Sunday of the month, I believe. dunno if it's open to negotiation for a large group to hire the site for the day on other days, but I expect it is.

I can get more specific details if anyone wants.

Reply to
Austin Shackles