ZF auto question

Hoi,

changing my zf auto box on my 89 RR we had to use the "old" torque converter from my old auto box.

After fitting everything together I had to realise that it locks the torque converter at the very same moment the 4th gear is engaged (of course before the lock should apply at 83kph)

Secoond strange thing is that, there starts a relatively loud ticking/banging noise from the gearbox/torque conoverter (not sure from where exactly the noise comes) in idle and a little bit above as soon as the engine and, what I suppose, the gearbox oil is warm/hot. At approx

1,5k UPM the ticking noise dies.

Any ideas if the two problems belong together and from where they origin?

Am I right when I think that the torque converter lock is inside the torque converter?

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Bad move, you should always replace it as well just in case it's full of debris from the old box. You should also flush out the pipes and cooler.

This is wrong, probably due to an incorrect build of the valve block assembly within the box. take it back.

This is definitely wrong!! Are you sure ALL the bolts on the torque converter are tight, and the ones holding the flex plate assembly to the crankshaft? Is the flex plate cracked?

Yes, but it's controlled hydraulically from the valve block assembly within the gearbox. There are lots of valves that are spring loaded, it's the hydraulic pressures overcoming the springs that make everything work. Mix up

2 springs and you get all sorts of strange things happening.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I see, seems as if the box has to come out again, arrgl.

Thanks for the info.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner