'03 ES300 Transmission lag

Just had the "fix" performed at the dealership. Don't notice much improvement, though, especially at low speeds. My question is: how can I confirm that the dealer actually performed the "upgrade" or whatever it is?

-Mark

Reply to
MRS

Click on help and about.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

too funny...

Actually, most of the improvement was at highway speeds. The low speed performance was degraded. I did notice more active downshifting going down hills while braking, which was one of their targeted improvements. They haven't addressed the low speed lag issue yet. I'm not holding my breath anymore, they worked on it for two years and were unable to improve it further.

Reply to
Steve Larson

There is something so magnificently efficient about a throttle CABLE. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

There is something magnificent about a manual crank starter too!!

Reply to
Dan J. S.

My 1998 LS400 is with the dealer today to perform the update for the transmission lag issue, I hope it improves something.

Reply to
Iantos

I've complained about transmission downshift lag on my '99 LS400 and my current '03 LS430 ever since I bought the cars.

The dealer always expresses surprise and says that they've never heard of such a problem.

Are you saying that not only is this problem on the LS series known about, but that there's a fix for this problem? Do you have specifics that I can go to my dealer with and say "Here's the service bulletin number! FIX IT!"?

HBH

Reply to
Helmar Herman

There's no fix for the 2002-2004 ES models. They have a newer version of the firmware, but it doesn't correct the hesitation at low speeds. If anything, it makes it worse. It does correct the highway speed lag though, which itself was a pretty dangerous characteristic. Let's just say that Lexus isn't really on top of their game when it comes to drive-by-wire technology.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Thanks, but my question was pertaining to the LS series, not the ES series.

HBH

Reply to
Helmar Herman

This might be it:

a.. TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function Go to alldata.com and look at all the TSBs

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Same company, same engineers, similar products, similar performance characteristics. Doesn't matter what letters, LS, ES, RX, etc.

Reply to
Steve Larson

That's not a fix, only a workaround attempt that does not resolve the hesitation problem.

Reply to
Steve Larson

I took my 03 ES in about a month ago. The service guy first acted like he'd never heard of it before then tells me that there's an update. The first few weeks, it seemed to accelerate better at slow speeds though a bit jerky (like releasing the clutch quickly). I don't know if that's just the computer re-learning. However, the lag is still there. Don't see it all the time but it seems that when I need it (when merging) that's when it happens. This only happens a low speeds (10-20mph). Shoulda gotten a stick.

Steve Larson sent this message::

Reply to
larry barrios

The clunkiness during acceleration is also a symptom people have reported, myself included. The lag will not go away, it is an unfortunate product of the newer firmware. I had a few really scary moments when trying to change lanes and accelerate at highway speed, but this was improved with the new version. Right now the low speed lag is a major inconvenience, and is sometimes unsafe.

Reply to
Steve Larson

What I find particularly insulting is this phony "Gee whiz, this is the first I've heard of this" bullshit that the Lexus dealers have adopted. You can't tell me that this approach isn't carefully orchestrated. It's as if that by saying "yes, we're aware of this problem", the dealers are admitting the existence of a wide-spread problem - and corporate must not want that. I wonder how the training on this subject goes. It probably is all verbal as they surely wouldn't want anything in writing given their implementation of this little fantasy acting gig. I'm sure we'd all have more respect for Lexus if they just admitted the problem, then took straight-forward steps to try and help fix it. The current approach is slimy and leaves a really bad taste in the mouths of owners. Bad publicity like this is surely their worst nightmare.

Reply to
MRS

Agreed, Lexus has not been forthcoming with their loyal customers regarding the hesitation problem. It's unfortunate they have taken that approach. I purchased the brand because I thought they were one of the few auto companies I could trust with the quality of their products and depend on for customer support. "Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me". I think many others beside myself will be adopting that approach, as I personally don't plan to purchase another Lexus vehicle, specifically because of this performance problem.

Reply to
Steve Larson

I would probably look at an Accord a lot closer next time, but in reality, you dont really have much choice in terms of quality. Who else is there? Mercedes? I dunno... European cars are on a slippery slope right now...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Well...

Does the Toyota Avalon have the same tranny problem? If not, I'd opt for that car next time. I had one before and it rode like a dream. Lexus turning out to be a big disappointment. Of course, Lexus registers as a staus symbol...

Reply to
MRS

Exactly. I think the thing that bothers these folks so much is that, other than the tranny issue, they love the ES. And the idea of buying a different car is unappealing.

I just got my new ES330 on Thursday and I love it. Sure the tranny is not as responsive as I'd like (and I know the '02/'03 ES tranny is a whole 'nother issue), but, overall, the car is superb. Who knows, I could change my mind down the road, but for now I'm a happy camper.

I'm glad I read all the complaints. Knowing these issues up front is a good thing. I probably would be disappointed if I found out about the tranny issues after purchasing the car.

Reply to
David Z

Yeah, the ES is very nice inside. I had looked at Nissan, Infiniti, Acura, and Toyota, and the ES was just much nicer inside and much better designed. It's a tough thing for me to have to deal with the tranny problems with Lexus. I've been a Toyota guy forever, and I'd like to stay with Toyota/Lexus.

Reply to
Steve Larson