2000 RX 300 - 4 wheel alignment

Vehicle: 2000 RX300 - Front wheel drive, mainly driven short distances as a soccer mom's car. Mileage: 63,000 Tires : New

Hi everyone:

Need your expert opinion. I have new tires (6 months old) and just had them rotated-balanced. When I drove the car on a straight road, there was a slight drift to the right if I let the steering wheel go.

I had the 4 wheel alignment done at Sears, paid $95 for it. They give

6 month-6000 mile warranty.

Problem is I tested the car back on the freeway, and the drift to the right is still there. Also, as before steering feels little heavy on the left .. ie. if I have to turn left, but feel light if I have to turn right.

I remember the technician telling me he cannot do anything about the drift to the right side. He said he has adjusted alignment to original settings.

Can you help me understand if the technician's argument is correct ? I feel cheated out .. but not sure if my expectations are right or not.

Thx very much for your assistance.

Reply to
techtrainer

If the alignment is actually within specifications, then the likely cause is either the crown of the road or the tires. If you rotate the tires back to their original position, does the drift to the right go away?

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray:

Good question .. I don't know. Before I had the tires rotated & balanced the same drift was there. It is after that I got the alignment done. Rotating back to their original position will not be easy to do -- will have to take it back to shop. Is there any other way to check ?

Is my expectation for the drift to be correct too high ?

Thx Bimal

Reply to
techtrainer

If the drift appeared after the alignment, then the alignment was probably not done properly. If the drift was present before and after the alignment, then the cause is probably tires or the crown of the road.

You can eliminate the crown of the road if you can find a relatively flat road or drive in the left lane of a 2 lane divided road.

Other than due to the crown of the road, the vehicle should track straight. The difference in steering effort from side to side is a clue that you should relay to the place that is doing the alignment - I suspect that there may be more caster on the left side than on the right side.

Reply to
Ray O

The problem may also be with a sticking brake caliper. Mine did that to me even when I flushed the system every year. Bad piston seal. Finally put on two rebuilts from the local NAPA parts store. Solved it.

Consistent drift to the same side after rotation/balance should suggest it's not a tire problem. And if the problem is the same before/ after an alignment, then alignment may not be a problem. (The techs cannot misalign to compensate so for that we give him credit).

Reply to
johngdole

Alignments should be accompanied by a printed report.

Ray O. is (as usual) right on.

Reply to
satmech

Thanks for the vote of confidence. All those years of helping dealers fix problem cars has come in handy!

Reply to
Ray O