2003 Camry very nice but not a Lexus

I recently moved to Asia and got a 2003 Camry as a company car. As a current owner of an LS400 and SC400 in USA, I was curious about the comparison.

My impressions: Overall a very nice car! Good size and well appointed in the interior. Great ride, and almost as quiet as a Lexus. However, I do have some observations:

- I have the 2.0 liter 4 cyl VVT-I engine-- different than the 2.4 liter available in the US. It has no "grunt" and dies a painful death going up hill.

- Mileage is not so good. In early life, 8.8 Km/l (about 20.5 mpg) for mostly in-town driving. I get only a shade less in my SC400 4.0 liter V-8 at home in similar conditions.

- The dash board styling is not completely to my taste, particularly the big "bulge" in the center for the radio/CD and climate control.

- The "simulated" wood trim though shiny and colorful, wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it is wood.

Pretty minor knocks for what I think is a real value car. Comments?

Reply to
XPlant

OK. It costs a heckuva lot less than the Lexus flavor does, so the trim level will show that. It should be just as reliable, though. You'll have to buy your own donuts at the dealer, too. You'll pay less for service. Whoever bought it could use the money they saved vs. an ES to buy you an early '90's SC400 to make you feel at home and still end up with change.

Two liters (unblown) is definitely on the small size for a big car like the Camry, so no surprise that it has no grunt. You can't even get a four in any Lexus in the U.S. Surprised about the bad mileage, though. Are you flogging it to make up for the lack of power?

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Reply to
GRL