$460 for 15k mile service

I have a '06 ES330 and my dealer wants $460 for 15k mile service. They say it takes 3 hours to do it. According to the manual, 15k maintenance includes oil change & tire rotation plus a bunch of "inspections."

My questions are: (1) why does it take 3 hours? (2) is it worth $460?

Reply to
KlausK

And people in hell want ice water. What's your point?

They won't get it if they don't ask for it. So they ask. And stupid people happily give it to them, thinking "well, if I can afford the car, I damn well better be able to afford the service!"

Meanwhile, back at the Toyota dealer, the same service is a buck fifteen or less.

An oil change for ANY car is thirty bucks. Of course, this is the LEXUS dealer, so they charge $140.

Tire rotation--call it ten bucks per wheel, forty bucks total. Now we're up to $70 in real world costs. Lexus dealer: $50/wheel.

Inspections? I can guarantee you that the tech won't perform any such inspections. But you'll have them noted on your record anyway.

There's nothing magical about an oil change on a Toyota V6 engine, nor about rotating the tires. Yet you'd think a Lexus dealer uses magic air to run their tools, and special oil squeezed from the anal glands of Arctic minks or something.

$460? $70 with a reputable mechanic. Save the $400 to pay half your overblown car payment next month.

(1) because that's what their book says, although he'll be done in 15 minutes, and (2) no.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Elmo Please be careful. Too much truth at one time can cause some people to go into epileptic shock. Let the dealer do that. Wouldn't want the poor guy to be afraid to visit this board anymore.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry Rogers

This is standard for Lexus. Several years ago we owned a RX 300. The maintenance cost for that car when compared to the Honda Prelude I had at the time over 30k miles was four times as much. In 2003 we traded for a Pilot -- less expensive to run and very reliable. For example, I had to have the rear brakes replaced at 27k miles on the RX300 at a cost of around $300; we are still on the original brakes on the Pilot at 65k miles.

Reply to
tww1491

The big problem is where can you go to get the required warranty services done? Don't you have to have those strange fluid inspections done at the dealer because no one else knows how to do them?

And yes, the Lexus inspections are the highest I have encountered - much more than the Mercedes. But I haven't owned any of the real luxury cars yet like Rolls, etc.

Reply to
mcbrue

So, do you get maintenance services at your dealership?

Reply to
KlausK

Dealer is high, but they KNOW the car. At least find someone who KNOWS the car too. Lexus makes mucho dinero by repairing Toyota tech mistakes.

I've seen it.

Reply to
satmech

Good point.

But at 15K miles, this shouldn't be an issue.

A $70 service for $460, all so a guy who "knows" the car is under it looking around as he unscrews the filter....at 15K miles....well, let's hope that car doesn't need him looking around at 15K miles.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Call the dealer and ask them what specific tasks they are proposing to do and how much each task costs. Write them all down, including the price.

Then ask which tasks are the minimum required BY LEXUS (not the dealership) to maintain the warranty.

Then, if you are agreeable, tell them to do only the minimum tasks, plus whatever tasks YOU want to do. Otherwise, get the job done elsewhere.

Also, get price quotes from other Lexus dealers. Some people also like to go to Toyota dealers.

Let us know what they tell you and what you decide.

Reply to
David Z

Reply to
Aluckyguess

I had a similar experience. I have a new GS430. The 5,000 mile service was free but when I took it in for the 10,000 mile service it was $200 for what seemed to me was just an oil change and inspections. Sure the free donuts and TV were nice but, now I am wondering about bringing it to them for the $15,000 service. So I am glad you asked that question.

My question is if I took my car to a Jiffy-lube or local mechanic for my

15,000 oil change would that void my warranty? I do not really want to ask Lexus that question because whatever they say would be verbal and therefore not worth the non-paper it was not written on.

I live in the US (Virginia).

Jeff

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

What does that exactly mean?

"The warrantee is still good if you dont do anything" ?

"Lexus and all dealers will bend you over any chance you get" ?

Could you clarify what you mean?

Thanks.

Jeff

Aluckyguess wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

Your warranty will not be void as long as you have the maintenance items listed in your owner's manual performed at the recommended time and mileage intervals. You should keep your receipts as proof that the maintenance was performed. Keep in mind that if Jiffy Lube or your local mechanic causes a problem, then they, and not the automaker, would be responsible for any repairs caused by their problem.

Reply to
Ray O

Lexus charges a lot more for the same work their Toyota siblings do using many of the same parts from the same production lines. It's more of a marketing thing, just to make things more "comparable" to other luxury brands, otherwise most owners will feel they bought cheap cars like Toyotas. ;) Just keep the receipts.

In the US, Toyota cannot decline warranty if you have a professional mechanic do the work using equivalent parts -- don't have to be Toyota parts. You can fill the tank with non-Toyota gas and it won't void the warranty. Just don't fill with beer.

Of course, if a mechanic screws up -- Toyota or non-Toyota -- the shop has honor the warranty.

Reply to
johngdole

And then idiots come in to places like this and say, "Well, if you can't afford the service, you shouldn't have bought the car."

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's not about affording it. It's about objecting at getting fleeced.

(I suppose the answer to that one would be "if you did not want to overpay in principle, why did you buy a Lexus .... ). Ah, well.

Reply to
Jeff

Or idiots bought the car and then realized they were getting fleeced. Or if you bought the car you're an idiot.

Reply to
johngdole

So if you want to get fleeced you buy a Lexus? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Reply to
johngdole