Radar Fix about 10% of Car Cost

As detailed below somewhere, my 06 LS430 Souper Douper Deluxe edition popped up a warning about the PCS and the cruise stopped working (Pre Collision System for which I had to get the souper douper deluxe ed for about $12 or $14K over the base price). Shop said it was a new, unknown error code and had to wait till the senior guys got back from a school to call and find out what was going on. They had to throw in a new computer for about $800. Still had an error message, so they have to put in a new radar unit for about $6,000. That is a total of about $6,800 and the car listed at about $73,500 to begin with !!!!! This will be covered by warranty as the car only has 20,250 or so miles on it. But that repair cost is 9.25% of the list, and when you take into account the multiple Lexus discount and the trade, it is over 10% ! YIKES !!!!!!! At least it is being covered by the Lexus new car warranty!

Guess the moral of the story is to carry a bumper to bumper warranty if you want to drive one of these beyond 50,000 miles. Anybody know any good warranty companies that provide true bumper to bumper coverage?

Reply to
mcbrue

Warranty doesn't apply when you hit the wall. Why don't you file a claim with your insurance instead?

Picked it up today and the total cost to the warranty dept was $6,672.25 - that is pretttttty expensive I would say. This is the second radar unit they have had to replace in the 2 years they have been out. Of course this car was made in late 2005 and delivered to the first dealer in Dec 05. So it was one of the first ones I guess. And the bumper bump was well over a year ago and only influenced the distronic sensor. It was not a hard enough bump to report it to anyone and did not even directly hit the right front sensor. That should not have influenced the radar system at all. This is more like I expect form a car company when I buy a new car from them. They did have to synch two computers to get the cruise working with the new radar unit. So this should be then end of this particular story --- I hope!

Reply to
mcbrue