90 Ls400, Power Steering Pump, Part 2

Hi - A while back I ask about a noisy power steering pump and if failure was immanent. Well I decided to pick up one off eBay, just in case. Although it generally looks in great shape it was NOT packaged very good, and arrived with both nipples broken off the valve ( RE: What I bought:

What arrived:
). Let's suppose the power steering pump currently installed IS BAD. What are the chances that I could STILL use the currently installed valve? If NOT, is this a ridiculously expensive part? i.e., How much? Should I cause a fit with the seller, or just deal with the situation? Thanks, as always.j

Reply to
Jerohm

You could probably use the currently installed valve if you use teflon thread tape. I have not idea how expensive a replacement part is, but I would ask the seller for a credit or a replacement part.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray ... as always.

I DID find the part online (

90&make=LX&model=LS-400-001&category=B&part=Vacuum+Valve) and it is a $100 item. I paid $155 for the pump, as pictured; improper packing of the pump severely diminished the value of this transaction. Even IF the seller offers a refund, I am sure I will get stuck with the bill for return shipping. The entire situation is sad ... and it doesn't help being so close to the holidays

Reply to
Jerohm

Hi Jerohm

Seems like you got the pump at a bargain price so that's the good news. Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that if you do NOT get a puff of white smoke on start-up, then your air control valve is still OK - so take it off your old pump and swap across. Easy when it's all out of the car.

GETTING it out of the car --- Ah, well, that's a different story!

Have a good holiday.

J> Thanks Ray ... as always.

90&make=LX&model...)> and it is a $100 item. I paid $155 for the pump, as pictured; improper> packing of the pump severely diminished the value of this transaction.> Even IF the seller offers a refund, I am sure I will get stuck with the bill> for return shipping. The entire situation is sad ... and it doesn't help> being so close to the holidays>

Reply to
Hillbilly Jon

90&make=LX&model=LS-400-001&category=B&part=Vacuum+Valve)

Hopefully, you get away with just returning the valve without having to return the entire pump, or better yet, the seller will just send you a replacement valve.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O