power steering

Does anyone know what would cause a power steering pump on a 2001 tacoma start to make noise comparable to engine valve knoking. I have change the pump for a rebuilt one and it still makes noises, but only on cold start.

Thanks.

Reply to
valerip

Is it the pump or the idler/tensioner pulley making the noise? Did you bleed all the air out of the system when the pump was replaced?

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

Air will do that, if your ps reservoir has a screen in it, the screen might be clogged, starving the pump of fluid. Is the fluid dexron II ATF type fluid? is the fluid brown?

Reply to
Tacoma Dude

Dexron-II ATF has not been available for years. Dexron-III ATF is compatible in almost 100% of the applications that called for Dexron-II or Dexron-IIE (older Honda automatic transmissions is the only application I know of where Dexron-III is not a straight replacement for Dexron-II...use Honda's ATF or add a bottle of Lubegard HFM supplement to the Dexron-III.)

I prefer to use synthetic Dexron-III ATF...you're only buying a quart, and it will have a longer life.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton