97LS400 power steering pump replacement

Does anyone know a good place to buy a pump and a site that has good directions on how to change one? It has been told to me that if I continue to let it leak that it will ruin my alternator as the oil leaks onto the alt. I have heard they are about 400 to 500 bucks, and hoses are around 300. BUT I also was told a hose shop can make them for a fraction of that. Any ideas? thanks, John

Reply to
Bitsbucket

You need to go to a good independent repair shop that specializes in imports. The good places are pretty easy to find if you ask around of people who own older imports.

You can get the part discounted from a number of on-Line Lexus dealers like Bell in AZ.

Reply to
GRL

I had this done at a local indie shop and I believe it was around $200. And yes, the leaking psp ruined the alternator and left me stranded.

Reply to
Chip L

I have a 1990 LS400. After 170,000 miles the power steering pump went bad, and yes, later the failed generated left me stranded 120 miles from home. I just had the car towed to Lexus dealership. They were happy to fix it and a couple of othr things for thousands of dollars.

Good luck on your search. ( I don't really think there is anything special about the alternator.)

Ed

Reply to
OregonEd

A good Lexus dealer (fair discounted prices, fast shipping service, internet-friendly) is Bell Lexus in Arizona where the internet parts sales manager is Richie.

(602) 866-3300Fax (602) 765-2343

I've bought an RX330 hitch and wiper refills from them and the prices were far better than what the local dealer wanted.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL