98 ES300: Problem with battery...

I have a '98 ES300 and I purchased a battery for it about two months ago. Today when I try to start the car, it doesn't start at all. I took the battery to Pep Boys and they told me that the battery was dead. What could the problem be? I started the car last night and it started perfectly. It never showed any signs that the battery had lost any power (which would be the case if the alternator was wrong and the battery was losing power gradually). So something happened between last night and this morning that the battery went dead. Could it be that the battery was defective or is there something wrong in my car?

Thanks.

Reply to
VMI

"VMI" quipped:

Did Pep Boys test the battery to see if was merely discharged or defective? There's a *huge* difference.

If it's defective, which is highly likely, you just need to replace it. If OTOH, it's discharged you need to find out why the battery lost all it's power. Either you left something turned on overnight or the battery was never being recharged.

My bet is that the battery is defective. It's not that uncommon for a battery to die prematurely.

Reply to
amstaffs

An ammeter can be used to check resting battery current drain. This should be below 70mA.

Reply to
xds