Am I wasting my time?

Is it even worth the effort to go to a Lexus dealer and try to order either an es330 or a ls430 with ONLY the equipment I want? Specifically, I don't want the navigation system, I don't want any kind of phone, I don't want any kind of dvd entertainment system and, most importantly, I absolutely do not want a sunroof of ANY kind. I understand this may incur some additional cost.This is not a problem as long as I get the car the way I want it. Or, should I just forget it and settle for another brand that will build the car I want?

All opinions appreciated..

Reply to
thirdofive

Yeah I know what you mean, seems Lexus brings cars down in two flavors, fully loaded or extra fully loaded. I tried to order an ES330 - I settled on buying one they had in stock. The thing that turned me off was the turn around time. I guess any car built in Japan has at least a 3 month lead time.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

As far as i now the ES base does not have the options that you are referring to.

given that why would it be a problem to get a vehicle that is a base model?

Reply to
Kleviy

MAYBE you can order some models of Lexus only three months in advance. If you want just one item which is only added in Japan I was told you need six months. That means you have to start shopping when the model is first introduced. If you wait the final delivery date will be so close to a new introduction date you may be miserable with the comparison with the next model year.

Specifically, I was interested in a different brand of auto also made by Toyota with a navigation system. Dealers told me it would take six months for delivery because those units could only be built in Japan. Maybe all Lexuses are built in Japan -- I don't know -- but some other Toyotas are built in the U.S.A.

Reply to
jay swinger

Some of the RX 3

Reply to
Mikeygmoed

Some of the RX 330's are built in Canada

Reply to
Mikeygmoed

A moonroof is standard equipment in the ES330 and optional in the IS300. The IS300 is a 3 liter in-line 6.

Reply to
Ray O

The ES330 and LS430 have the Sunroof and CD as standard equipment. You will not be able to get one of those without a sunroof. Navigation is optional and can usually be found on the Dealers lots without and the DVD system is not even an available option on those models.

Myles

thirdofive wrote:

Reply to
msb

When purcashing my ES300 i was disappointed that I could not get the Levinson stereo unless I also got the nav system which I have no use for whatsoever. BMW is much more flexible when it comes to building a vehicle.

Reply to
Ice

I COMPLETELY agree with your selections!!

On my last car purchase I was told by Lexus that ALL LS400s (at that time) came with sunroofs. Period. So I bought a '97 Mercedes "E" class without a sunroof or phone.

I'm considering a new car now and have learned that:

Jaguar XJ8L (but not the shorter XJ8) can be ordered without a sunroof; Navigation is an option as is its entertainment system.

The Mercedes E class can be ordered without a sunroof, navigation etc. The S class Mercedes is cursed with a sunroof, navigation etc.

The new Cadillac STS V-6 can be ordered without a sunroof, not the V-8 which takes the Lexus package approach.

BMW seems to be wedded to sunroofs as well.

I hope this helps you find the right car.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I am not really sure this makes any sense to me??? You want to PAY MORE for a car with less options? Here, I tell you what... buy the LS430, or the Es330 (are you really considering one or the other? seems they are MILES apart is who is buying those models), and for $500 i will pull the sunroof cover closed for you so it doesn't seem like you have one! Problem solved.

you know what i wish.... I wish I could still buy me a ford pinto, you know the one that blows up when hit from the rear! I don't care that it isn't safe / won't be able to be re-sold / etc. That's what I want. You people make me laugh. Get up with the current times Gramps. Cars have sunroofs now. (and power windows, and door locks). hell, i wonder if you would delete power brakes if you could. Power steering - no need for that. and seriously, who needs seatbelts anymore? and airbags. give me a stipped down car, and we call it good.

go look at fords, chevys, and pontiacs.

cheers -

- out

Reply to